yep

New to hydraulics. Do they need to be bled?

I recently got a 2013 Specialized Enduro. Its my first bike and first time using hydraulic brakes. Well after about 8 good 2-3 hour rides, I've noticed the right brake lever has gotten a slightly more noticeable length of pull than the left. It's not too bad to me, and it still brakes fine, but it bothers me that it's not the same as the left and not as stiff as it was before. Is there any way to adjust that, or does it need to be bled?

Is there any reason I would need to do it right away, or can I ride a bit more with it. The reason being I am leaving for Moab on Sunday, and I doubt the shop will have time to bleed them for me.

Thanks. I appreciate any info.

mtbr member
    I noticed that if I turned my bike upside down to pull a tire or do some cleaning and left it there for a while my rear brake did the same thing. Now I use an inserted piece of plastic and wrap a few rubber bands around the level if I invert my bike, it seems to help. It could be some air in the line or your brake might need some adjustment. I assume you are on Avid brakes, I am a XT guy so I do not know all the details about your setup but a bleed could not hurt.

Mark

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Try holding the lever down as far as you can for 20 seconds, then repeat a few times. Does the lever firm up?

yep
    Thanks guys.

I'll try holding it it for 20 seconds and see

They are Avid Elixer 5s.

I plan on getting some SLX brakes with Ice Tech rotors soon, but I'm wanting to learn more about brakes and adjustments before. That way I can set them up.

mtbr member
    The SLX's are plug and play. There is no stroke adjustment like the XT's/XTR's, I heard nothing but great things about them. I too am using the RT86's for rotors and love the setup.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert