mtbr member

New HS1 rotors from avid?

Supposed to be better/lighter than the cleansweeps, anyone seen one in the shops yet or gotten any weights, pricing?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    From what I've heard it sounds like the new brakes, Elixir 9 and 7, that are going to come with the HS1s are due for release sometime in April. So it's a pretty certain thing that the rotors won't be available until sometime after that. But, keep in mind that these are 2012 brakes. Whether the articles and materials that I've read mean an April 11 release or a 12 release hasn't yet been made perfectly clear! Another thing to keep in mind, the G3 CS for current Elixir brakes is not necessarily compatible with other non-Elixir Avid calipers. There is nothing to suggest that the HS1 will be compatible with anything but the Elixir at this time. The braking track on the G3 is somewhat narrower than the G2 and Roundagon rotors, so pad overlap can be a problem. If the HS1 is the same in that respect you could see the same problems unless you run Elixirs.

Anyway you can bet that the first runs of HS1s will be for the brake system. Once the dust has settled from the initial release you'll start seeing the rotors available aftermarket. But it's likely to be a month or two after the brake system hits the market.

I'm keeping an eye on it to. I like the Elixir bakes. If the "improvements" do fix the minor flaws in the current Elixir system, I'm up for it!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Does anyone know if the HS1 rotors and adapters have been released? I haven't found too many articles or posts on these rotors.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've seen a few of them on ebay (along with the new Elixir 1), but I'm not sure if they're officially out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I called SRAM and they haven't been released. Not sure where the ones from ebay are coming from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The complete Elixir 9 brakes are available on quality now. I have not seen the elixir 7 or rotors separately yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    just ordered mine 180mm for front and rear including new adapters for my Elixir CR's. We'll see how they perform.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've seen some people using them haven't heard anything about them yet. I use the Alligator Serrated Rotors 180/160 with non-avid adapters. The Alligators are a bit lighter, but there's almost no difference. Modulation with mine are nice, but I've heard the HS1 work well too. The best part for me is I got them really cheap.

Welcome to MTBR!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    delivery ETA is Sept 20th or so, then install and test the following weekend. I will report back on the performance, hoping for better modulation.

Not to sidetrack onto a different topic, but which brake pads are good (non-Avid)?

empty beer member
    They came on my '12 Scale 29 Elite. They definitely feel smoother than the cs rotors that came on the '11 Scale 29 Elite that I had. Both with elixir 3s.

I thought the cs rotors worked ok until I got the HS1! They don't lock up unexpectedly like the cs did and let me work them harder without fear. I guess I didn't know what I was missing.

I guess since they came with my elixir 3s they should work with at least the elixir line and they are the same thickness as the cs rotors, but are 180mm NOT 185mm like the cs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update:
    I received and installed the HS1 rotors, front and back, plus new adapters (180 vs 185).

Overall I agree with wrecklessREX: they are much smoother and no unexpected lock-up. While the rear rotor wore in nicely, the front seems to have worn unevenly, where half of the rotor has better grip than the other half, resulting in "pulsing". We'll have to see if this goes away with time and wear.

I am very happy with this upgrade, which made the CR's defnitely better...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axelnied View Post
    Update:
    I received and installed the HS1 rotors, front and back, plus new adapters (180 vs 185).

Overall I agree with wrecklessREX: they are much smoother and no unexpected lock-up. While the rear rotor wore in nicely, the front seems to have worn unevenly, where half of the rotor has better grip than the other half, resulting in "pulsing". We'll have to see if this goes away with time and wear.

I am very happy with this upgrade, which made the CR's defnitely better...
    The pulsing will not go away. You got a bad rotor. I had this happen before with a G3 rotor. It was .003" out of flat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Will these work on the M988 XTRs? Are the thicknesses negligible?

mtbr member
    They are lighter than the cleansweeps. Keep in mind the HSX rotors come with Ti bolts which are 5-6 grams lighter than the steel bolts than come with the HS1.
    I weighed them myself
    160mm
    HSX 98 grams
    HS1 92 grams

140mm
    HSX 80 grams
    HS1 76 grams

I'm Slow
    Will the HSX work fine with normal metal scintered pads?

I am looking to replace a worn set of rotors on my Elixir CR Mags, and I don't want to go to organic pads
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've been using them with both organic and semi-metallic pads. Both types of pads work really well with the braking surface on the HSX rotors. I don't think they are an "organic" pad only type of rotor. The semi-metallic pads do squeal more in the wet.

I'm Slow
    Yeah I've gotten use to the squeal, Thanks for the info.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    The pulsing will not go away. You got a bad rotor. I had this happen before with a G3 rotor. It was .003" out of flat.
    I replaced the pads, which made the pulsing go away...!
    Note to self: Whenever changing the rotors, ALWAYS change the pads too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Will these work on the M988 XTRs? Are the thicknesses negligible?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by axelnied View Post
    I replaced the pads, which made the pulsing go away...!
    Note to self: Whenever changing the rotors, ALWAYS change the pads too!
    Sorry, shouldn't have been so absolute in my statement. Glad you got it fixed. I'm surprised that new pads fixed it.

mtbr member
    26,5 for the HS1 in 160mm here: Avid HS1 6-Loch Bremsscheibe - BIKE-COMPONENTS.DE