mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New hose or just a bleed?

Ok so last week my Hayes Mags were stopping fine and then all of a sudden I lost nearly all braking power over 24 hours (the lever goes all the way into the bar and the wheel doesnt even lock up when it is spinning ofthe ground). Im thinking that I may need to get a new hose, or does it just need a bleed? Iv never had to bleed a set of brakes before but it usually doesnt weaken that fast, does it?

Thanks
    David.

...idios...
    Where did the fluid come out?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    All I could see was a very small smear of fluid on the frame next to an abrasion on the hose.

...idios...
    Then you need a new hose. If it's been pierced, it's finished. You'll have to replace the hose, replace the fluid and bleed the system.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Meh.
    Unless the tear is somewhere near one of the ends of the hose and you can trim it off without shortening the hose too much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nope its bang in the middle. Looks like a new goodridge is coming my way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle-mofo
    Ok so last week my Hayes Mags were stopping fine and then all of a sudden I lost nearly all braking power over 24 hours (the lever goes all the way into the bar and the wheel doesnt even lock up when it is spinning ofthe ground). Im thinking that I may need to get a new hose, or does it just need a bleed? Iv never had to bleed a set of brakes before but it usually doesnt weaken that fast, does it?

Thanks
    David.
    brake lines don't generally just "go" like that without some insult to their integrity. nor does bleeding happen over night. are you sure you inspected all parts for any obvious causes?

oops, i guess i should have read on before posting.... actually, wasn't the answer obvious to you?