mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New to the Horrible/Annoying Vibration(Shimano)

I just bought a 2010 Yeti 575 with the Enduro build a couple of months ago from my lbs. The Enduro build has solid parts all the way around except for the middle of the pack brakes. The brakes it came stock with are the Shimano 575 non-series hydraulic with 160mm rotors and semi-metallic pads.

I rode the bike for about couple of rides and made sure to properly bed in the pads. I then took it to one of the ski resorts with a budy. Thats when the vibration started. The vibration only occured in the rear and would start when I would barely apply the brake, but it would continue even when firm pressure was applied. Its almost like a harmonic vibration that is felt through the whole frame.

I tried recentering the caliper. Cleaned the rotor with alcohol. No improvement.

I decided to change rotors and in the process upgraded to 180mm rotors, front/back through the lbs where they bled the rear an additional time. At the same time, I tried a Shimano Deore resin pad in the rear. The vibration still continued during and after bed-in.

I was at my wits end

I then took it to the lbs where I got the bike where they dissasembled the whole rear triangle. Rotated the bearings and ensrued proper torques. They faced the brake tab on the frame, bled the brake one more time and sanded the pads and rotors for another bed-in. The vibration was better, but its still there!! I tensioned my spokes to see if that was the cause, but no improvement.

I am now taking the bike back for a 3rd time where they say they want to try a new product called SwissStop Brake Silencer. Anyone tried this?

Do you guys think that this problem in inherant in the rear triangle of the 575?

I think I may try chamfering the leading edge of the pads as some of you have posted if the spray(sceptical) does not work. I have even thought about asking for my money back all together. Yeti basically blew me off when I caled their customer service.

Thanks for any advice!

Rub it............
    Its not a Yeti issue. You are correct as it is a harmonic vibration. Some bikes do it, some don't. I'm sure you've seen the million page thread on the Juicy's with the same issue. The problem is making sure that the frequency is changed, thus making the harmonic vibration go away.

Some have had success going to a different brake setup, different rotor, wrapping the chain stay or seat stay with something rubber. Anything to get rid of the harmonic vibration.

mtbr member
    I noticed the same on Alligator Semi-metallic pads. I cleaned up the rotors (light scuff with sandpaper) then lightly scuffed the pads (they were glazed) and all became quiet. Returned after a few days though (I was hard on the brakes at Diablo). I've got full metalic pads on now, but have not had a chance to try it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the quick response frdfanddc. I will experiment with wrapping the opposite chain stay with an old inner tube or something of the sort if my lbs can't provide a solution......

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    RSabarese - I thought my Saint brakes with Shimano Metalic pads were the only ones on Diablo last Sunday. I'm so glad I went off early cause my system was screaming so loud it was really annoying. I said "Sorry" to all the early hikers though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Rear End Vibration Eliminated!!

My LBS set me up with a Magura solid rotor on my next visit after some testing around the shop with my bike and the current brake setup that consisted of the Shimano BR-575 Non-Series. I took the bike home and bedded in the resin pads to the rotor. So far, so good…. I then took over to a local trail and road to the top of the peak. On the downhill section of the trail the rear was perfectly quiet. I thought that was the trick. A slightly wider rotor without the cross-drilled surface was the key for my setup.
    As I was pedaling along one of the flats and approached a sharp bend I ever so slightly feathered my rear break and I was startled by the vibration! It had returned after some heat and further bed in….
    I was super upset… I wrote a detailed letter to Yeti customer service. I included every set of variables that the LBS tried and it was lengthier than this post…. I received a call from Nate from yeti the very next morning. He was very understanding of my frustration and acknowledged that everything the LBS shop did was what he would have done at the shop he worked at prior to coming to Yeti. He mentioned that if the LBS had exhausted all of their ideas that they would replace the rear triangle at no cost, even know it was not likely to be the cause. I was very pleased with the quick response I received from yeti.
    I went to my LBS that same morning and told them that the vibration was still present. They said they would visit the Yeti factory since it was just down the street. They would request a new triangle and if that wasn’t the problem they would put on a new brake caliper.
    They replaced the rear triangle and the vibration was still there mid-way through the week. Later in the week they put on an XTR Caliper and said that that seemed to have been the culprit.
    I have been on two very long rides in varying conditions, temps, and slopes and the vibration has disappeared with the XTR caliper!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow, what a nightmare....glad you got it sorted out.