Thread: New Hopes??

Hugged a Yeti Today?

New Hopes??

Am I correct in assuming that what are being listed as the 2005+ Hope Minis and M4 are coming with the new floating rotors? I have heard great things about these rotors and they look great too. I have noticed that some shops are now listing both Minis/M4 and then also 2005+ Minis/M4s. Does anyone know if you can get just these rotors if the set doesnt have em?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    All 2005 Hopes come with 2-piece rotors. There are a lot of 1-piece rotors floating around still in inventory so be sure to specify the ones you want if you order some.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

DOT 4/5.1 differences between years?

Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    All 2005 Hopes come with 2-piece rotors. There are a lot of 1-piece rotors floating around still in inventory so be sure to specify the ones you want if you order some.
    I bought a set of "new" Mono Mini's and a set of "old" Mono M4's recently from Speedgoat (they give the option of which rotor for the Mini's). The "new" Minis came with the two piece rotor, the "old" M4's with the old rotor.

The "new" Mini's master cylinder is scribed with instructions to only use DOT 4 fluid, while the "old" M4's says DOT 4 or DOT 5.1. Are components just being mixed and matched, and that's why the "new" model doesn't specify DOT 5.1? Are all DOT 4 systems upwardly compatible with DOT 5.1 so that it wouldn't be an issue using DOT 5.1 in both?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolCyclist
    Am I correct in assuming that what are being listed as the 2005+ Hope Minis and M4 are coming with the new floating rotors? I have heard great things about these rotors and they look great too. I have noticed that some shops are now listing both Minis/M4 and then also 2005+ Minis/M4s. Does anyone know if you can get just these rotors if the set doesnt have em?
    FoolCyclist - What's the advantage of a 2-piece 12-bolt rotor, aside from the fact that it looks nice? I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me that doubling the parts and bolts makes it more complicated and prone to problems. Thanks. - Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dnpeters
    FoolCyclist - What's the advantage of a 2-piece 12-bolt rotor, aside from the fact that it looks nice? I'm not an engineer, but it seems to me that doubling the parts and bolts makes it more complicated and prone to problems. Thanks. - Dave
    I believe the advantages are lighter weight (the black arm thing is made of aluminum), strength (the aluminum piece isn't supposed to bend as easily as one piece rotor made of steel, hence there is a lower chance of the rotor getting out of true), and yes, it looks pretty cool. The design might offer better heat dissipation as well. I'm not sure if the steel rotor piece actually bolts on to the aluminum carrier, i.e. its still 6 bolts per rotor. But then again, I have no idea how the two pieces are joined together

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The rotor bolts to the hub with the normal six bolts. The disc carrier is alloy which is pressed to the outer steel disc and doesn't actually 'float' from side to side but it allows movement for heat expansion.
    The idea is to save weight on the bigger rotors and to prevent warping of the disc rotor itself. Oh and look cool 8)

Alpine Rider (Italy)
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    Are all DOT 4 systems upwardly compatible with DOT 5.1?
    yes. dot 4 is compatible with dot3 (not a good idea) and dot 5.1.
    dot 3, 4 and 5.1 are NOT compatible with DOT 5

Hugged a Yeti Today?

"Floating rotors"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul5s
    The disc carrier is alloy which is pressed to the outer steel disc and doesn't actually 'float' from side to side but it allows movement for heat expansion.

I havent actually been able to see these new floating rotors yet, but have talked to a few people that have them or have them at their shops. From what I can gather, they do actually float on the carrier. They are supposed to be able to move laterally ever so slightly to account for uneven pad contact. This is supposed to all but totally eliminate brake noise. The ones I showed in the pic apparently arent the floating ones though. The carrier is supposed to look different. Like I said I havent been able to get my hands on one yet, so I cant really say weather they actually float or not. But I did find out that one rotor costs close to $90 so maybe they do float.

Anybody actually have the hope rotors they are calling floating and can show a pic and verify that they do in fact move on the carrier?

Hugged a Yeti Today?

hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    It should be knows that those rotors do float laterally (those are my pics btw) a bit, unlike the rotors for the M4 and M6, which are pinned securely in place.

Those rotors pictured are indeed 140/160mm. You'll also notice that the Al carrier is shaped differently for those rotors than the ones used on the M4 or larger sized Mini rotors. The carrier thickness on the rotors pictured is about 2/3 that of their other "floating" ones.

So, here is what I found. I still dont know for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolCyclist
    I havent actually been able to see these new floating rotors yet, but have talked to a few people that have them or have them at their shops. From what I can gather, they do actually float on the carrier. They are supposed to be able to move laterally ever so slightly to account for uneven pad contact. This is supposed to all but totally eliminate brake noise. The ones I showed in the pic apparently arent the floating ones though. The carrier is supposed to look different. Like I said I havent been able to get my hands on one yet, so I cant really say weather they actually float or not. But I did find out that one rotor costs close to $90 so maybe they do float.

Anybody actually have the hope rotors they are calling floating and can show a pic and verify that they do in fact move on the carrier?
    The rotor pictured there has a very small amount of lateral float. That particular rotor (with the six angled alloy arms) is a 160mm used on the front of my Epic. I've never come across anyone else with those rotors (I'm not saying they aren't out there) so I can't tell you whether mine are an anomoly. I do know that mine were among the first batch as I had been speaking to Hope for quite some time about them and these brakes came with a pre-production trials brake I got as well.

The rotor as pictured int he first post above, is packaged with the M4's and while it's pinned like the mini rotor, it does not have any lateral float.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    The rotor pictured there has a very small amount of lateral float. That particular rotor (with the six angled alloy arms) is a 160mm used on the front of my Epic. I've never come across anyone else with those rotors (I'm not saying they aren't out there) so I can't tell you whether mine are an anomoly. I do know that mine were among the first batch as I had been speaking to Hope for quite some time about them and these brakes came with a pre-production trials brake I got as well.

The rotor as pictured int he first post above, is packaged with the M4's and while it's pinned like the mini rotor, it does not have any lateral float.
    I have the Mono Mini's with the new style 160mm rotor, and the carrier is identical to the one in the original (first post) picture. That said, the pins/rivets also look identical to those in the second picture.

From what I can tell, the rotor will not float laterally ... the rivets hold the rotor securely in line with the carrier and there is no play. It _DOES_ appear that there is a gap between the rotor and carrier that could allow for expansion of the (rotor's) metal.