Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Hope Tech M4/X2 EVO worth it?

Building up a new frame soon and was looking to pick up the Hope Tech M4/X2 183/160mm. I saw that Hope came out with the "EVO" model for 2012.

Is the new EVO worth ~$30 more per side?

I weigh ~175 lbs geared up, so I'm not a clyde, nor am I a lightweight.

Thanks!
    Anthony
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Not really.

The only changes are the lever pivot is slightly closer to the resevoir (in theory to generate more power) and the little linkage in the lever has a roller cam instead of just pushing now.

The caliper and resevoir internals are identical to the non evo models. I weigh more than you and have never thought my X2s lacked power.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Not really.

The only changes are the lever pivot is slightly closer to the resevoir (in theory to generate more power) and the little linkage in the lever has a roller cam instead of just pushing now.

The caliper and resevoir internals are identical to the non evo models. I weigh more than you and have never thought my X2s lacked power.
    Awesome. Thanks for the reply!

Is there any better rotor to mate with the M4/X2 or is the float/fixed Hope rotors the best match already?
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    No idea, I've always used Shimano rotors out of habit. Hope rotors are definately more bling.

mtbr member
    Am using the Hope floating rotors. Same setup as you are proposing. Works really well.

Edited to add - the redesign in supposed to increase the power of the brakes by something like 15%, if that figure is correct. I have never really wanted for more power from mine, though.
    Last edited by Shalom; 10-18-2011 at 03:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Am using the Hope floating rotors. Same setup as you are proposing. Works really well.

Edited to add - the redesign in supposed to increase the power of the brakes by something like 15%, if that figure is correct. I have never really wanted for more power from mine, though.
    Perfect. I will go with the last gen model then.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It seems the only big differences apply to the Race series. Now you don't only have a Race X2 but also a Race M4 and V2. They look very cool with the black finish and green accents. All the Race brakes come with "Lightweight Alloy Race Evo lever with Titanium bolts as standard". But if you just want the "ordinary" Tech X2 brakes I guess the pre-2011 is just as good and (a lot) cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walliebal View Post
    It seems the only big differences apply to the Race series. Now you don't only have a Race X2 but also a Race M4 and V2. They look very cool with the black finish and green accents. All the Race brakes come with "Lightweight Alloy Race Evo lever with Titanium bolts as standard". But if you just want the "ordinary" Tech X2 brakes I guess the pre-2011 is just as good and (a lot) cheaper.

Tech EVO X2
    Tech EVO M4
    Tech EVO V2

Seems to me that it is also in the Tech series.....but I could be wrong...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walliebal View Post
    It seems the only big differences apply to the Race series.
    The race M4 has existed unoffcially for a while, it's just the M4 caliper on the Race lever, not really a big deal.

The Evo race lever has the new pivot location, but otherwise is the same as the old one, again nothing huge has changed.

I'm not aware of a Race V2 being available at all, although they are doing a limited run of the Tech levered brakes in black and green, all models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    The race M4 has existed unoffcially for a while, it's just the M4 caliper on the Race lever, not really a big deal.

The Evo race lever has the new pivot location, but otherwise is the same as the old one, again nothing huge has changed.

I'm not aware of a Race V2 being available at all, although they are doing a limited run of the Tech levered brakes in black and green, all models.
    Both the Tech and Race levers get the new EVO pivots. But you are correct, other than that, everything else is the same.

Not sure why anyone would want a race lever on the V2.....

mtbr member
    Well went ahead and ordered the last gen Hope Tech M4/X2 183/160mm, braided lines, floating rotors, and matchmaker.

Anybody know how much better these compare to the Elixir R SL?
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Well went ahead and ordered the last gen Hope Tech M4/X2 183/160mm, braided lines, floating rotors, and matchmaker.

You will not be disappointed. That is exactly the combination I went with to replace the Elixir R SL's I got cheap. The power, modulation and adjustability is phenomenal.

b a n n e d

I'm running this setup as well and came from Elixir 5's. I'm quite pleased with them when they are working . . . I have not had them that long yet and am still working out some of the bugs, but as soon as I get them dialed in, I know they will be superb.

One note of advice: The MC caps may be overtightened when you get them, which will cause a very slow fluid leak (you can tell right out of the box if there is any fluid in the box/bag that they come in). I have had to bleed each brake twice now in order to get the diaphragm's properly seated. In other words, you have to re-seat all 4 diaphragms (at least I would).

When you put the MC caps back on, tighten the screws 1/4 turn past snug and that's it . . . not very tight at all. I just re-did the bleed on mine last night (which by the way is SUPER easy - so is shortening the lines, even the SS ones) and this morning the drips had stopped so I think I'm in business . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I'm running this setup as well and came from Elixir 5's. I'm quite pleased with them when they are working . . . I have not had them that long yet and am still working out some of the bugs, but as soon as I get them dialed in, I know they will be superb.

One note of advice: The MC caps may be overtightened when you get them, which will cause a very slow fluid leak (you can tell right out of the box if there is any fluid in the box/bag that they come in). I have had to bleed each brake twice now in order to get the diaphragm's properly seated. In other words, you have to re-seat all 4 diaphragms (at least I would).

When you put the MC caps back on, tighten the screws 1/4 turn past snug and that's it . . . not very tight at all. I just re-did the bleed on mine last night (which by the way is SUPER easy - so is shortening the lines, even the SS ones) and this morning the drips had stopped so I think I'm in business . . .
    Thanks! I will doublecheck those caps once they come in.
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The TECH EVO series is to replace the older TECH version. Hence there should be no price change. This is what I hear from my local dealer. Perhaps, some dealer stock the old version and want to clear it out, hence markup the EVO price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kianlee View Post
    The TECH EVO series is to replace the older TECH version. Hence there should be no price change. This is what I hear from my local dealer. Perhaps, some dealer stock the old version and want to clear it out, hence markup the EVO price.
    There wasn't a markup, but it was discounted since it was the older series. I paid ~$420 for everything (Front M4 183mm, Rear X2 160mm, both braided lines, floating rotors, and matchmaker).
    Current Ride:

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    good deal!

b a n n e d
    There wasn't a markup, but it was discounted since it was the older series. I paid ~$420 for everything (Front M4 183mm, Rear X2 160mm, both braided lines, floating rotors, and matchmaker).
    Yeah, that's a really good deal. Nice pick up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    hi all, i just wanted to bump this up and see if anyone has saddle time on the evo's and see what differences there in power. i am peronally looking to maximize braking power on a 170mm bike, but without the weight of a shimano saint brakeset.

is the new m4 evo in the same ballpark as the saint? according to bikeradar's test, the standard tech m4 was about 15% less powerful than the saints...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    IMO Its the adjustability & modulation along with the build quality of the Hope system that makes them the best ,there like jewelery. I run the M4 with 203 /183 floating rtrs. on my Canfield, The One, as well as 203/160 on my Turner 5 spot & Sultan. Ive been all over North America and love these brakes !

mtbr member
    Finally got an actual ride out in the trails on the Hope Tech M4/X2 brakeset today. Performed wonderfully and the reach/bpc is so convenient.

Shortening the hose was fairly easy, I did break the brass compression fitting, but Hope USA promptly mailed me out a few extras. Bleeding was a breeze and doesn't require any bleed kit; your local hardware store should stock vinyl/pvc tubes that are normally used for fridges and would fit perfectly on the caliper nipple with a ziptie.
    Last edited by anthonylokrn; 02-08-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Current Ride:

b a n n e d
    Finally got an actual ride out in the trails on the Hope Tech M4/X2 brakeset today. Performed wonderfully and the reach/bpc so so convenient.

Shortening the hose was fairly easy, I did break the brass compression fitting, but Hope USA promptly mailed me out a few extras. Bleeding was a breeze and doesn't require any bleed kit; your local hardware store should stock vinyl/pvc tubes that are normally used for fridges and would fit perfectly on the caliper nipple with a ziptie.
    Agreed on all accounts! By the way, you can get a "one man brake bleed" kit at an autoparts store that is SUPER convenient for bleeding the brakes.

Amazon.com: OEM 25036 Bleed-O-Matic One-Man Brake Bleeder Kit: Home Improvement

Did you get the levers to stop dripping? I can't seem to get rid of the drips, even with brand new diaphragms.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love the power and modulation of Hopes - always their strong points. Their weak point - squeal. I know many brakes squeal when wet but my X2s SCREAM when wet. I do mean scream.

How are these when wet?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Agreed on all accounts! By the way, you can get a "one man brake bleed" kit at an autoparts store that is SUPER convenient for bleeding the brakes.

Amazon.com: OEM 25036 Bleed-O-Matic One-Man Brake Bleeder Kit: Home Improvement

Did you get the levers to stop dripping? I can't seem to get rid of the drips, even with brand new diaphragms.
    Hmm..I haven't had any problems with dripping or seepage. I remembered reading somewhere not to overtighten the cap, so I just snugged it up instead.

Only problem I had was that I left brake fluid on one of my XO shifters too long and it wore the XO badging off of it.

Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Love the power and modulation of Hopes - always their strong points. Their weak point - squeal. I know many brakes squeal when wet but my X2s SCREAM when wet. I do mean scream.

How are these when wet?
    I think just about any disc brakes would squeal when wet...but I heard that the Magura were one of the better ones for wet conditions.

IMO, the Hopes are much, much better than the Avids that I previously had.
    Current Ride:

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post

How are these when wet?
    What rotors are you running? "screaming" is a relative term, but yes the damn things are LOUD when they get wet. I suspect its the pad compound. Not a big deal for me here in SoCal.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast