mtbr member

New Hayes IH2 not releasing properly

I've got a brand new bike I bought online and the front brake is giving me problems. Hayes IH2 caliper, Tecktro lever, and 6" rotor.

I squeeze the lever and its fine, but when I release, it just lets go half-way and stays. I have to push the lever out for it to completely let go. I called to place I bought it and they said to take it into a shop. I'm okay with that, but I like doing things myself and want to know if there is anything I could try before I go to the shop.

Oh, the cable is NOT kinked, and I've made numerous adjustments that haven't helped the problem.

Thanks

Meh.
    Check that the housing is seated properly in stops. Check that there is adequate tension on the caliper arm. Make sure that there is adequate cable tension. Check that there are no kinks in the housing or cable. Make sure the ends of the housing aren't crimped shut.

Use Triflow or Rock n Roll Cable Magic inside the housing to reduce fritcon.

If you don't really know what you're doing, those adjustments could have made the issue worse.

Your best bet is to bring it to a shop.