mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New Hayes hydraulics grinding/pulsing

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forum as I am new to mountain biking (so pardon my ignorance). I just got a new bike with Hayes Stroker Ryder hydraulic disc brakes, and they have been great for the first few miles (only have 30-40 miles on the bike). Last weekend at the end of a ride, the front brake would shudder/shimmy/pulse when stopping. I WOULD stop, but not smoothly and it about scared the crap out of me coming fast off a trail that crossed a main road! There is no squealing or screaching, just this low grinding, rough-pulsing you can feel and hear when stopping. I took the front wheel off and looked for debris buildup etc, but everything looked ok.

Now I know pretty much nothing about bikes/disc brakes, but I am learning and willing to learn. Any ideas of what this could be?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Bump... anyone?

mtbr member
    Make sure all your rotor bolts are tight, make sure your rotor isn't warped.

If both of the above look good, then
    also remove your pads and give them a light sanding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Have you checked the tightness of all mounting bolts?

ride hard take risks
    Start with what osb said then work your way down. You can sand your pads on cement in a figure 8 to de-glaze.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot