mtbr member
    Dec 2011

new hayes dyno! who has test this new brakes

hi,
    I'm french
    I can buy a pair of hayes dyno comp for 130.

I know nothing about this new brake, I'm the owner of hayes 9 on my bike.

so who has this brakes on his brakes?

It's look like an moder version of the nine, I'd like to have your opinion because in france, I saw them just on magazine but not in a review.

vmed_cha_gr
    Jun 2008
    I was wondering that too.
    I don't know if I'm gonna invest in Hayes brakes any more as i had a lot of problems with stroker ryde ones.
    The lifetime warranty looks tempting though.

Cereal Killer
    I have them on my new Trek Cobia. Only two short rides on them so far, still working on getting the pads bedded in, and tweaking the levers to my liking. Haven't been able to ride the past few weeks due to a broken ankle. But once I get some more time on them, I'll write back and give a little more of a report. As of right now, they're not very strong. But I only have a 160mm rotor on front. And I believe it's just a matter of getting them broke in and bedded and all. They do have a good feel to them, but i'm not too use to hydraulics at the moment. Been using mechanicals for a while. Compared to Avid BB7 mechanicals, they are different. Not any better or worse, just different. I'm looking forward to see how they do. Got a lot of hope for them.

vmed_cha_gr
    Jun 2008
    I have placed an order to merlincycles.co.uk . I'll put them on my 2004 specialized epic bike with 180mm rotor for front & 160mm for the back.
    I'll post my comments here soon.

mtbr member
    Waiting for review over here.
    RM Vapor
    Access XCL 9r

vmed_cha_gr
    Jun 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! not here yet !

Quote Originally Posted by Solo Bellimino View Post
    Waiting for review over here.
    In the next few days the brakes will be here & they will be installed on a specialized epic fsr 2005 bicycle. I will brake them in for a few days & post the review here (and at the disk brake review section, too).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've been using them for about 3 month's now, 160mm F/R. I feel they lack power,. ( could be that i'm 240 geared up) but overall i like them easy to clean and maintain. I would recomend new pads though stock ones are crap.

vmed_cha_gr
    Jun 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm they are here .

I received the brakes today. I will install them on my XC bike.
    Lets see how they will perform. Ordered different types of pads (the carbon compound from superstar pads). I'll give them a go with the stock ones.
    Will post my reviews soon.

Cereal Killer
    I've rode them around a little bit now, and I agree, could use some different pads. Something with a little more bite. And for me, I'm gonna go with a bigger front rotor. The 160mm just doesn't feel adequate. But I am a big guy at 250, geared up and on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey Chameeh, when you hold your front brake and rock your bike back and forth does it feel like a little bit of play/movement from the pads too the caliper? Could just be me/or maybe my headset.

Cereal Killer
    Life08, yeah I've noticed a very small amount of movement. Not really sure where exactly it's coming from. For me, my headset is snug, no movement there. Doesn't appear that the wheel is moving. I did notice though, that my fork compresses just barely every time I rock it back and forth. I think that's where the movement is appearing to come from. Everything else is tight.

vmed_cha_gr
    Jun 2008

We the people ...

Hi
    These are my first comments about the brakes. I will compare them to the Hayes Stroker Ryde that they replaced & Saints that i use on another bike. I haven't changed the stock pads yet. This review is after 50klm of brake in period, about 2x40klms of XC ride (180mm rotos front / 160mm rotor back). -->

. No more wooden feel. These brakes react as they should be. Pressing softer or harder the lever translates into proper feel from the callipers.
    .. I'll have to agree with one of the members here that they seem to lack a bit of power. Compared to my other bike that has Saint (2005) on it, Saints react rapidly with one finger, Dynos react the same but you need two fingers, so you need more power to the lever. For me it's ok though.
    ... One last thing is that these brakes do not block your back wheel easily, there is a slowdown progress before this appears at low speed only. This is something i really like because it gave me more control. Most of you know what happens when you go down & your brakes block the back wheel easily. Stroker rydes were awful to this, Saints are controllable. There was no noise as pads hit the rotors.

This is a first review done with few kilometres & using the stock pads. Dry weather condition, no rain, rocky terrain. I'll post new comments after many rides for their reliability, different terrain condition etc... I'll use different pads in the near future and post my comments here.
    For the price paid (from merlincycles - 123euros for a full kit with rotors) and the bleeding warranty they are a good buy , i'm happy with them. I'll give them some time and review again.
    Last edited by vmed_cha_gr; 05-18-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Perfectionist with ADHD!