Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New front Rotor for my BB7s?

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  akacoke 
#1 ·
Looking to replace the stock rotor that came with my BB7s.
Staring at the G3 Cleansweep, but I think that's just the newer version of the one that comes stock.
Anyone have any suggestions for a nice 180mm replacement that doesn't warble like a damn turkey?

#6 ·
"The new HS1 rotors are pretty nice and the weight is low too."

You may want to avoid using the HS1, and the G3 for that matter, with the BB7. Both have smaller brake tracks than the G2. I tried using a 180mm HS1 with the BB7. The outer edge of the brake pad aligned perfectly with the outer diameter of the HS1 braking surface, but the inner edge of the brake pad overhung the inner diameter of the braking surface. This caused the brake pads to contact the spokes on the rotor and generate a pulsation that could be felt when braking. Also caused an uneven wear pattern along the inner edged of the brake pad.

#7 ·
Hell, even the stock 203mm G2 that came with my BB7 has the pad wearing down more then 1/8 on the rotor spider arms. Plus that G2 was warping like crazy and won't stay quiet... Good thing my bike came stock with the old style Hayes V8 rotors. Wide braking surface, silent and are very hard to warp compared to the G2. You may still be able to find some online. I didn't try the new version with the new cut-outs. They looks very similar to the G2 now.

Next I'll probably try some 140mm HS1 with BB7 rear. We'll see.

#8 ·
Hell, even the stock 203mm G2 that came with my BB7 has the pad wearing down more then 1/8 on the rotor spider arms.
Where was the outer edge of the pad in relation to the outer edge of the rotor ?
If it was 1/8" or more in from the outer edge of the rotor, the caliper might of needed packing out a bit with some washers.
I had a old hayes brake that squealed like a banshee, I noticed that the pads weren't lining up with the rotors braking track as they should and the pads were overhanging the inner edge of the braking track. I packed the caliper out on the adapter with some washers till the pads lined up with the braking track as they should, the noise went away and the brake worked much better.

#9 ·
BB7s and Juicys use the same pad and from my experience I'd never use a G3 rotor. Guy gave me some brakes a bit back with a G3 floating rotor, so I put it on of course cause it should work better, well no, damn thing was so noisy and didn't work much better. Bit of advice, if you're going to buy a new G2 rotor, I'd advise you consider buying an entire BB7 caliper with the size rotor you want, it will only cost you about $15-20 more and you'll have a backup caliper and spare pads.

#10 ·
I have run the Cleansweep X 160 front 140 rear since they hit the market. Yes, the pads overlap, but the performance has been better than the Roundagon, G2, and G3. The 140 rear has stayed perfectly true and has not made any noise. The 160 in the front came from the factory with a little bend in it and I have had to true it twice. It is starting to warble. I am going to try the Hope floating rotors next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.