mtbr member
    Mar 2009

New front brake advice for my lame bike:

Hi - first post.

Bought this thing last year...

http://www.rei.com/product/760846

...with the expectation I would not ride it a lot. However, I put about 500 miles on it so far and will be doing the same once things warm up (like tomorrow!)

It is hilly where I live, and one of my regular segments is up a gravel access road to a water tank. Very steep and somewhat long (mile maybe). Going down, it seems I completely and utterly roast my front brake, and in general, it doesn't seem that strong. More importantly, new parts are fun, and I am bored and want to put something new on! FWIW, I am 6'5 and just under 200 lbs.

What are some safe bets for a bigger/better front brake kit? I am not sure how standard these parts are.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    maybe you are over using your brake to hard or not enough rear brake. I would look at some of the hydro units out there. that hayes deal from jenson looks good for 42.00 a wheel. need to check if those would fit .

mtbr member
    First that bike is not lame! looks about identical to my Cannondale F7 (Tektros, Alivio, Gila fork...) I sold it to a friend and some how it got really really fast up hill (never worked that well for me )

any way I am 215 and on some very long down hills I could also fade the Tektro's, I got a good deal on some BB7's with larger 185mm rotors and was stopping easy with one finger and not cooking them on the downhills.

I think the BB7's are a great brake and at the time the hydraulics would have cost me around $300 from my old LBS, if I had to do it over again now I would get some decent hydros online and install myself for a couple hundred just because the hydros need less tweaking and are even easier to pull.

My girl friends bike came with what is probably the lowest end Shimmano's BR-M485 (Alivio series) and they are every bit as nice as my BB7's but need no tweaking, pads never drag and are super easy to pull.

Quote Originally Posted by canonken
    Hi - first post.

Bought this thing last year...

http://www.rei.com/product/760846

...with the expectation I would not ride it a lot. However, I put about 500 miles on it so far and will be doing the same once things warm up (like tomorrow!)

It is hilly where I live, and one of my regular segments is up a gravel access road to a water tank. Very steep and somewhat long (mile maybe). Going down, it seems I completely and utterly roast my front brake, and in general, it doesn't seem that strong. More importantly, new parts are fun, and I am bored and want to put something new on! FWIW, I am 6'5 and just under 200 lbs.

What are some safe bets for a bigger/better front brake kit? I am not sure how standard these parts are.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Ray Lee; 03-18-2009 at 07:18 AM.

ride hard take risks
    The BB7;s would be the less expensive way with a 6" rear and 7" front rotor.

http://www.spadout.com/b/Avid/mechan...-brake-system/
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    If you can get adapters for your front brake, you could switch to a bigger rotor and reduce fade over a long downhill.

If you decide to purchase new brakes, I have a set of Hayes HFX9 I could sell you for cheap. PM me if you are interested.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The BB7;s would be the less expensive way with a 6" rear and 7" front rotor.

http://www.spadout.com/b/Avid/mechan...-brake-system/
    Wow, that is stupid cheap. Would I have any issues with things bolting up?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

~Disc~Golf~
    Wow, that is stupid cheap. Would I have any issues with things bolting up?...
    yeah... if you don't have any allen wrenches
    Seriously...nope.

PS don't forget to figure in levers and some compressionless housing cables for your total cost...
    I recommend some Speed-dial levers and flak-jacket cables
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a set of Hayes Ryde Brakes and Rotors (V6) for sale... $150 send me a msg...
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

mtbr member
    I could wrong but I think you will need cable (I noticed a big improvement with Avids Full Metal Jacket type, but just make sure to get compassionless cables the stock cables that came on my bike were spongy) and also levers, again the speed dial levers where better than the generic Canmondale levers I got on my bike.

Levers $20-30
    Cable $20-30
    caliper/rotors $100 for F and R

you are going to be around $140 plus a cable cutter $20-30 (a good FLATE cuts are important and bore out the hole a bit after)

$170 total and you are getting close to some nice hydros (my LBS seems to have takeoffs)

I am not knocking BB7's at all, they are nice but after a year of having both the BB7's and cheap Shimmano Hydros the 7's need more TLC.

$100 F and R everything you need except maybe adapters and a bleed kit (Sometime brakes need bleeding right out of the box)
    http://bestbikezone.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=41866

Ray

Wow, that is stupid cheap. Would I have any issues with things bolting up?

Thanks for the replies everyone!
    Last edited by Ray Lee; 03-18-2009 at 12:16 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee

Levers $20-30
    Cable $20-30
    caliper/rotors $100 for F and R

you are going to be around $140 plus a cable cutter $20-30 (a good FLATE cuts are important and bore out the hole a bit after)
    His levers will be fine for his use, Avid disc sets come with rotors.

If he decides to go with a larger front rotor which would be the best then a caliper mounting adapter will be needed also, few buxz.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot