mtbr member
    Sep 2011

New Elixir 7's Bleed Procedure

I'm having a tough time bleeding the Elixir 7's that came on my 2012 Stumpjumper. I can't seem to push any fluid into the caliper, at all.

Avid does not seem to have any updated info. for these new "taper bore" brakes, and I have to assume the procedure is the same as previous models. Since these don't have a pad contact adjustment, I didn't touch any of the knobs on the lever, I left them where the were. Avid has called this knob I'm refering to as a "tool-less reach" adjustment, so I figured it would have no impact on bleeding the brakes, until now. I always liked the reach, so I never messed with this adjustment before, but playing with this seemed to improve the firmness of the brakes and not change the "reach" at all. I'm confused!

So I am wondering if this needs to be turned all the way in like a pad contact adjuster before performing the bleed procedeure.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    [subscribed] I too have a 2012 FSR with Avid 7's & would like to know the answer to this also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    After doing some more reading here on the forum, it sounds like there have been many problems with all sorts of Avid brakes, where fluid will not move through the system. Although the new Elixirs are said to be improved for more success in bleeding, it seems that the problems persist. My LBS said they bleed my system when I took it to them for a tune up. If they indeed bleed the brakes, I doubt that this is the result of some blockage in the system from the manufacturing process, as I've read could be a source of trouble, but perhaps the reach adjustment as I questioned and also read about in the forum.

I will try tomorrow after changing the reach and report the results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Success! The "reach" adjustment was the key. The manual that came with my bleed kit didn't mention this, but I found some other Avid documentation that tells you to make sure that the distance from the center of the bar to the tip of lever is no more than 75-80mm otherwise bleeding could be impossible. (or something like that)

I have never adjusted this before, since the reach was always correct on my bike, however since I had to turn these in, I found that they have very little effect on reach, but a profound effect on the feel of the brakes. After unsuccessfully bleeding the front brake, I was able to tune the front to have a firm very usable brake feel. My lbs had replaced the brakes on my bike when new due to spongy feel, and they were never really great after.

Not sure if I needed a bleed or not, but I did find the fluid to be discolored some, which is a little disconcerting since my lbs bled these in June.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks! same problem- no fluid would go through from caliper to lever syringe. Just tightening the lever reach adjustment barel and ta da.. good flow!
    I too am not sure how to dial in the reach adjustment barrel. Now that I know it is linked to fluid, I am weary to mess with it much
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I found that I probably didn't need to bleed the brakes if I had dialed in the "reach" as the pads wear and the brakes start to feel soft, I'll first try to adjust the feel using that knob. whatever it's meant for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the tip! Adjusted reach and was able to bleed the brake.