mtbr member

New discs are a disapointment

i just put on some Mono Mini (in front only) with a pro setup from a local shop. Hafta say I'm not all that impressed. this is my first experience with discs. They do not feel strong at all. What about effortless 1 finger braking? My XTR Vs outpreform those hands down. Someone please tell me they take a while to brake in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grande
    i just put on some Mono Mini (in front only) with a pro setup from a local shop. Hafta say I'm not all that impressed. this is my first experience with discs. They do not feel strong at all. What about effortless 1 finger braking? My XTR Vs outpreform those hands down. Someone please tell me they take a while to brake in.
    I made the switch from xtr v's to the original hope mini a long time ago. They do take some time to break-in, and they WILL WORK a whole lot better than ANY v brake. Be patient young jedi.

A wheelist
    Go by the brakes' instructions and break them in. You did read the instructions I "hope"? (was that a pun?)

If nowhere else, it's in our FAQ on this page.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The new Mono minis take a long time to bed in. The old style mini would start working great after a few hard stops, the new ones seem to take several rides to get up to power. Give it some time, one finger will be all you need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If your brakes are no good then they are not bedded in, they need bleeding or the pads are contaminated, you can take it from there my friend!
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Like the others said, just be patient and give them time to break-in. Better yet, go force them to break in by taking a couple of nice long rides with some good descents where you can drag them on and off and give them a good break-in. Before you know it, you'll be accidentally nose wheelie-ing.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Long Break in period!

Yeah, I installed Hope mono mini's on my Salt! My first impression was what kind of crappy braking power is this? until I used them a while and now they are sweet! TIG.