mtbr member
    Feb 2009

New disc setup - help

I recently built a new bike from the frame up, and switched to hydros.
    Front is 203 & rear 160. The calipers are your run of the mill Shimano (not sure what pads). Nothing fancy, but I took it on its initial ride yesterday in the rain. I wasn't too impressed with the stopping power.
    I was trucking down a hill when I needed to slow to make a sharp turn, and the brakes were not there as much as I would like them to of been. So much that I was thinking my old v brakes would have been better.

My question is could this of just been because of the rain, or do the calipers not have enough in them for 203 rotors? Better pads in order?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by magnadyne
    I took it on its initial ride yesterday
    give the brakes time to bed in?

A mean teen...
    Feb 2007
    You need to bed the brakes in. A few hard stops and dragging the brake should bed them in part way.

Meh.
    Ditto. The pads need to bed in. Read the disc brake FAQ.

Put some heat into the pads and rotor. Build up some speed. Ream on the brakes. Let go before you come to a complete stop. Repeat. It may take quite a few stops depending on the pad material.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bed in is key, but I have also found that for good measure to bleed the brakes when installing them. I know that most come pre-bled, but I would just rather know for sure. I have a set of stokers that I purchased and bled quit a bit of air from the lines when putting them on new.