mtbr member
    Jul 2008

new disc brake PADS

I changed my disc brake pads but now they are to tight to allow the wheel to rotate freely.
    Should I have pushed the old brake pad with a wrench to push the piston in ?
    When I changed my car brake pad I have a special tool to push the piston in do I need such a tool for my mountain bike???

Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    What brakes do you have?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    AVid 7

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Put back the old pads and use them to protect the pistons when you push them in with another tool.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Wow I can't believe I don't have more reply to my question.
    So the answer is to push the piston in order to insert the new pad, right?
    Make sense after all that's what we do on cars. I will use the old pads
    Thank you

BLT

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek 98
    Wow I can't believe I don't have more reply to my question.
    You're not really giving actual information. People are probably not answering because their brains hurt.

Offhand, I know of this "AVid 7"

and this one.

Resetting the pads is different for the two brakes. If you have the Juicies, bing is entirely correct. If you have the other one, you need to do something different.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Perhaps, but it didn't require to be a rocket scientist to answer correctly.
    Two new pads not allowing the wheel to rotate freely means that the piston have to be pushed in order to allow the wheel to spin.

Anyway I put the old pad back use a screw driver and inserted in between them and voila now the wheel is rotating

thank anyway

Get busy!!
    My juicy3's need pads replaced in the rear. I am guessing the replacement is the same as these 7's? Pull caliper, use old pads to depress the piston, insert new pads and replace on the caliper mounts/rotor.

Thanks in advance guys.
    07 M4 Rockhopper Pro (Mango)
    Fox Fork 100mm / Chris King Headset

Clydesdale 29er
    I don't think caliper removal is required. Just pull the wheel, gently pry the old pads open
    with a screwdriver, replace pads, replace wheel, and maybe recenter the caliper. Five
    minutes tops.
    MxV=Clydesdale

Get busy!!
    NICE!!!!! Thanks Baine. Whats up with the bleed kit? Not needed it sounds like by your instructions. When would you need to use an Avid Brake Bleed kit? Thanks again guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Right you are no need to remove the caliper and do as Baine said, not sure about five minute though

Clydesdale 29er
    The bleed kit is to get air out of the lines. You are not adjusting or touching the lines so
    unless you have other problems just ignore the bleed kit. Your brakes worked just fine
    when the old pads were new so they should work fine now. You just need to get the
    pistons to retract. Be gentle and take your time. A good maintenance stand is helpful.
    MxV=Clydesdale

Get busy!!
    Great. Now, one more for you experts. I'm not hearing any screeching noise like a car that needs breaks but I have NO rear brake anymore. I have been riding on the front only for a month now. They just feel totally faded and soft. Is this the pads or something deeper? I have been on the same pads since 07. Fronts still bite like a champ though. Thanks again.

Clydesdale 29er
    new pads are cheap and easy. Fix the obvious stuff first. I have gone through two
    sets of pads on the front in the last 18 months. But they are organic and softer so they
    go away quicker.
    MxV=Clydesdale

Get busy!!
    Organic are smoother and quieter I take it? I will toss in some new pads this weekend and let you all know what comes of it. Todays ride will be all fronts but I'm used to it now. I am also strictly cross country and climbs so I'm not worried about only using the one set.

You the man Baine!

Clydesdale 29er
    I'm only "the Man" if it solves the problem, so until then I'm just another bumbling fool
    with a computer and a day off.
    MxV=Clydesdale

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm still bedding in my new rear brake, so far I don't see a lot of improvement.
    tonight I'm going to Aliso wood, Irvine CA where some of the downhill are pretty steep and long for new brake pads.
    Will see tomorrow I guess

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm still bedding in my new rear brake, so far I don't see a lot of improvement.
    tonight I'm going to Aliso wood, Irvine CA where some of the downhill are pretty steep and long for new brake pads.
    Will see tomorrow I guess

Get busy!!
    Good luck. I will be picking up new pads this weekend I believe. Ill post my results as well.