mtbr member
    Apr 2007

New Caliper. Is this normal?

Just picked up my bike from shop. A new frt caliper was put on, with new pads. The old one was leaking, and replaced under warranty. I took it for a spin before I left the shop and it dosent want to stop when I use the frt brake. The mechanic said this was normal, and the pads needed to be worn in. This normal, or a B.S. line? I asked him why they were not scuffed before putting them in, and he said they usually dont do this. I am a car guy, so not too sure about this. I guess I will put a few miles on it too see if the brakes grab harder. FYI the brakes are Magura Marta Sl"s.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsXC
    Just picked up my bike from shop. A new frt caliper was put on, with new pads. The old one was leaking, and replaced under warranty. I took it for a spin before I left the shop and it dosent want to stop when I use the frt brake. The mechanic said this was normal, and the pads needed to be worn in. This normal, or a B.S. line? I asked him why they were not scuffed before putting them in, and he said they usually dont do this. I am a car guy, so not too sure about this. I guess I will put a few miles on it too see if the brakes grab harder. FYI the brakes are Magura Marta Sl"s.
    New disc pads need to bed in to the rotor. Scuffing before installation makes no difference.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    So just ride it? Should I heat em up on some down hlll?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsXC
    So just ride it? Should I heat em up on some down hlll?
    It is in the Disc brake FAQ => ^
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    make sure they cleaned the rotors and replaced the pads when they replaced the caliper. i had the same exact thing happen to me when i bought a fuel from the lbs a few years ago... there was a tiny bit of mineral oil coming off the caliper and dripping on the floor... i told them about that when they prepped the bike so they did a rebleed but did not replace the pads (which were contaminated by then) and probably did not clean the rotors either. I took it out for a ride and i can pedal right through the front brake and it squealed like a banshee. They also gave me the "it needs to bed in" line but even new brake pads and rotors should have some stopping power... If it doesn't get better after 1 hour of riding and braking OR if you can pedal right through the front brake, take it back...

You need to clamp on the brake 17 times before it beds in.

Flip: If there is fluid on the shoes you can bake them at 250degrees until the fluid cooks out, but it stinks and your next roast will taste like brake fluid. Best to just get new shoes