mtbr member
    May 2010

New Build...V-brake or Disc??

I just bought a 2009 Fisher Big Sur frame with a SID XC. I'm in the process of putting together a list of parts wanted/needed. The brakes are giving me the hardest time. Reading all the new MB mags, I hardly ever see V-brakes anymore. I love my Avid Ti levers and SD7s on my current bike. I have never ridden Discs but I imagine they might be much better. Are the weight disadvantages outweighed by the stopping power? Will I notice much more power needs to get the wheels moving with discs?...(may be a silly question). I am trying to put together a sub 24 lb HT so what would be the best? I'm 5' 7" 165-170 depending on how many burritos I eat during the day.

Thanks in advance for the input. I was thinking Avid Mags for V's and BB7's for discs...not sure I want to mess with hydros...

What could go wrong ...
    mount up some BB7s and no it will not take more power to get the wheels moving - unless you have a seriously bent rotor or something
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Disc brakes definitely over V's, there is no comparison in terms of brake modulation.

BB7's coupled with Speed Dial levers so you can adjust the level of 'feel' of braking. Dont skimp on the cables either.

On one of my 29ers (a Redline Monocog) I still have v-brakes. On my home trail the Tektro v-brakes are just fine, the trail is all flat and gravel and it makes the bike look less eye candy since I often ride alone.

Most of the good rims you'll find are disc-specific anyway so you might as well.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I run BB7's with Avid Ti levers on my AM rig, no problems. A bit more weight than a V-brake setup, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

- better braking in the mud or rain
    - a bent rim will not interfere with braking
    - more power, IF set up properly

The BB7's are certainly cheap these days, so it's the way to go if you are on a budget (no lever replacement or bleed kits to buy.

Re: your question about rotating weight of the rotors - I doubt you will notice it. It's pretty close to the center of the wheel, so minimal effect. Plus, you could upgrade your wheels to disc specific, which will save a bit of mass on the outside edge of the rim, which is where it is most noticeable.