Sweep the leg!

New brakes, old rotors & pad compounds

I must not be using the right keywords in my searches.

I just put on a set of Shimano LX (M585) hydros and off came the BB7's. The LX's came with the stock pads, not the organic pads they offer. I'd been running stock Avid pads on the BB7's and there's a definate difference in the way they brake with the Avid rotors.

The LX rotors seem to be a stamped steel with a chrome-like plating. The Avids are stainless steel. Putting the LX's on isn't an option as they're centerlock hub compatible and my King and Hugi are 6 bolt.

Before I run the pads and rotors too many miles should I get the other Shimano pads? Or whatever brand might work better than the stock pads...
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I would suggest....

pulling the old rotors and cleaning them completely of the old pad material then re-bedding them with the new caliper/pad combo. Not all pad material is the same and it seems not always compatable. Pull the rotors and use steel wool or fine grit sand paper to clean all the old pad material out of the braking surfaces. Fine grit sand paper works faster. Once that's done then clean the rotors with rubbing alcohol and re-install. Then do the normal bedding in process. My son went from metalic pads to organics on a set of Avids and had the same problem until we cleaned all the old pad material off the rotors and then re-bedded using the new pads.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Sweep the leg!
    Well duh, why didn't I think of cleaning off the rotors. Thanks man, I'll do that.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

ride hard take risks
    Galfer pads after your all cleaned.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...e-Pads-Red.htm
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    squash nailed it...after you clean the pad material off they should rock...I used LXs with Avid rotors for a while..and they worked great...

Sweep the leg!
    I took a green 3M pad from the kitchen and spun the disks against it. Then I went for a 3 hour ride. It took a few uses of the brakes but they bedded in just fine.

It's sweet having better braking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I hate to suggest anyone using Rotor cleaner, but it works great. Can pick it up at any auto store. Just be careful using it.