Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    b a n n e d

New Brakes from Hope revealed at Eurobike!

I just saw a sneak peek of the Hope Tech3 Levers posted on Hopes Instagram feed. They look like they retain the same lever, but have a different MC. Anyone else got any dirt?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

MTBR Member
    Not sure I'm diggin that MC...

New Brakes from Hope revealed at Eurobike!-bs2u1xeimaabyq1.jpg-large.jpg

b a n n e d
    ^^^ yeah, that's the pic I saw as well. Gotta see the rest of it before I decide. Might just make the tech levers a little cheaper!!

MTBR Member
    Yeah, definitely want to see some better pics. Look at the side view too -- looks pretty bulky. If anything, I would have liked to see a more slimmed down design than the current tech/tech evo.

b a n n e d
    Yeah, I have faith in Hopes engineering department. They historically have turned out good looking, well-machined bits so I'll wait before I pass judgment on these. What it kind of looks like is that they've rotated the MC so that its inline with the brake line (like a shimano or avid).

Would also be nice if they did away with the flip-flop lever. Having twice the number of seals means twice the opportunity for leaks.

b a n n e d
    The other thing I gotta remember with this is that they are NOT going to come in that color scheme . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Some nice big photos over at VitalMTB...

New Brakes from Hope revealed at Eurobike!-s1600_hope_tech_3.jpg

So a Tech3 looks like a chunky Race lever with the Tech BPC stuff... I can live with that.

b a n n e d
    A revised M4 Caliper - the Enduro4 - as well was announced.

I'm torn . . . I really like the look of the existing Tech Levers, but lower weight and more power, plus 2 fewer seals is really appealing. I'll be curious to see if there's a price bump on these as well.

Tech3 Levers + a V4 (f) and E4 (r) would be a pretty good AM combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    A revised M4 Caliper - the Enduro4 - as well was announced..................
    How much more could they revise the M4 without making it into the V4? Can't wait for more detail

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    How much more could they revise the M4 without making it into the V4? Can't wait for more detail
    I think the notable things are weight savings and finally re-routing the hose to the inboard side with the bleed valve on the outboard side. Makes every bit of sense to run it that way. Make bleeding easier and reduces risk of getting snagged.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    From what I saw, the Tech 3 lever is an upgrade to the Tech Evo lever to minimise conflict with various shifters. In achieving this, they had to get rid of the flip-flop nature of the lever, so it is now restricted to sides. Otherwise, there is some percentage of power increase again (over the Tech EVO lever).

b a n n e d
    Well the Tech3 line is up on the Hope website . . . someone go order them and post up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Someone has already mentioned that they moved the hose connection inboard, they also made the pads deeper. Was talking to the Hope guys at the bike show in Birmingham UK.

I liked the new levers, less bulky and had a similar feel to Shimano.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE View Post
    Someone has already mentioned that they moved the hose connection inboard, they also made the pads deeper. Was talking to the Hope guys at the bike show in Birmingham UK.

So new pads? No longer using the Shimano M755 type pads?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by A MAN CALLED HORSE View Post
    This has me very worried . . . the Shimano levers feel like **** to me in both tactile feel and lever action.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    This has me very worried . . . the Shimano levers feel like **** to me in both tactile feel and lever action.
    I meant a bit more like the shape of a Shimano lever, not exactly the same, but reminiscent - to me that is!

As for the pads, as far as i understood, they haven't changed the caliper or piston size- but are just supplying them with deeper pads.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

b a n n e d
    I can't wait until someone gets a ride report on these things . . . . as much as I love my Tech levers, the leaking MC caps (and 4 of them at that) is growing old. I feel like I have to bleed my brakes far more than most (at least its easy to do). This new design, which despite being much less visually appealing (based on the pics), reduces the potential for leaks by 50%. That coupled with more power (especially compared to the old Tech levers) should make these a winner. I will miss the aesthetics of the old design though. Maybe its not as bad in person?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have received a pair of the new Hope tech 3 X2 brakes this morning and will get round to fitting asap. The MC is certainly slimmer in design than the previous version and as stated are no longer a flip flop design and are also directly compatible with my I-spec shifter which is good. I have been using Shimano M785 since they were released here in the UK, very good brake but I feel like they are a disposable item in comparison with the Hope which have every component available as spares. I hope these new brakes perform as good as my last set of previous generation non-evo X2 which never let me down. I will post a review when I've fitted and used a few times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Dan, same pads or different than m4?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB1978 View Post
    I have received a pair of the new Hope tech 3 X2 brakes this morning and will get round to fitting asap. The MC is certainly slimmer in design than the previous version and as stated are no longer a flip flop design and are also directly compatible with my I-spec shifter which is good. I have been using Shimano M785 since they were released here in the UK, very good brake but I feel like they are a disposable item in comparison with the Hope which have every component available as spares. I hope these new brakes perform as good as my last set of previous generation non-evo X2 which never let me down. I will post a review when I've fitted and used a few times.

Sweet. post some pics of the levers . . . better/different angles than whats already out there. I'm really interested in a side profile shot (from the lever side and the hose side). I want to get an idea of just how big these things are.

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    My E4 Tech 3's are being delivered tomorrow - I'll post pics once they arrive.

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    As promised, Tech 3 E4 awesomeness!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Brakes from Hope revealed at Eurobike!-image.jpg  

New Brakes from Hope revealed at Eurobike!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can you take a pic of the pads?

squish, squish in da fish
    man those xtr's are fugly, glad you got the hopes. looks like more throw by far than those shimanos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast