Thread: New brakes?

Arnborg strik

New brakes?

Im currently running XTR 975 discbrakes with 180mm Magura ventidisc.
    The braking power is ok,so is modulation, but sometimes i could need a little bit more power.
    I have considdered putting on 203mm disc,but i think that they would bend rather quickly,
    when i take a dive (and i do that a lot )
    So i think they will go on my hardtail,and i will buy some new ones!

But which ones???????????
    Right now im deciding between:

Avid Code 2008, i really like the bearings that hold the lever(absolutely no play)good
    looks,and awsome breaking power (might only need 160mm f+r) but how is the modulation?

Formula Oro Greg Minear Edition 180mm f+r Looks very good and should have enough power and great modulation.

Or! The New Formula The One 180mm f+r dont like the look of the hole leverbody(caliper looks great)
    but they should be fantastic brakes regarding power and modulation.

please tll me about your experiences if you have tried any of the brakes.

Thanks in advance

Flaccid Member
    My bike came with the Formula K-18s. I weigh around 225 to 230, run 180mm rotors and recently switched to the sintered metallic upgraded pads. I could probably use the 200 mm rotor in front due to the long steep descents here in So Cal and my weight. If you are under 190 lbs, the 180mm's should be fine. Completely happy with Formulas product and their service can't be beat.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Would you consider Hope floating 203mm?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    i' using k18 with 200/180 rotor. i suggest u buy formula The one with 200/180. it's light, powerful and good looking although it's very expensive!

Knollician
    Codes are great, but very heavy. I just switched to Formula's on my Sultan and couldn't be happier. The K18/K24s are simply amazing in both power and weight. BUT, I also have a set of the ONE's on the way for my RFX, and based on what I am hearing they will be even better with no weight penalty.

Formula customer service is spectacular and Larry from Mountain High would be the guy I would call to get pricing on any Formula brakes, you will be surprised.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Arnborg strik

Have talked

to Larry
    Bought a lot of stuff from him during the last couple of years
    But The Ones are not available yet (maybe late january)
    But i can get them here in Europe right now (but they are expensive)

As stated the Codes are great but much to HEAVY

So now is comes down to :
    The Ones or ORO Greg Minear Edition

Here in europe i can get the ORO Greg Minear about 200dollars
    cheaper than THE ONE

Which way to go????????????????

Anybody tried both???

Arnborg strik

Update!

Well today i got my hands on a brand new Formula The One rearbrake (160mm disc)
    But i must say that im not impressed

First of all the finish on the mastercylinder is not very good (i thought it was anodized)
    but it is actually a glossy black paint,with a lot of tiny little airbubbles in it (no good )

Another thing is that the lever is connected to the pumprod via a small link,which
    has play in it.That means that it rattles when riding

I wil send it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to which brake to buy:

I have the opertunity to buy a new set of XT 2008 discbrakes(180mm f+r) at the same cost of a brand new
    set of Formula Oro K24 (160mm f+r) in white (which would look stunning on my 2008 Commencal 55 Vip) and the finish is WAY better than The ONE

Everybody says that both are very good brakes with lot's of power and modulation

But i just can't decide which set to buy ??????????????

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas
    to Larry Here in europe i can get the ORO Greg Minear about 200dollars
    cheaper than THE ONE
    Can I know where? Many thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Did you consider some Maguras?

Hi Thomas,

I would really try the 08 Magura Louise. I must say I didn't tested them but I do own two sets of Martas.

For the my hardtail the Marta are the brakes that suit me the most. Excellent lever feel, modulation and power. They do need one thing for them to work at their maximum performance, and that is facing the mounting tabs. However they have one small problem: fade. Is not that important for me on the HT since I'm not doing descents that require you to be on the brakes all the time. It happen to me once or twice (well, not with the stock rotors) but this were runs in which I think lots of brakes will give up.

Now, the new Luise seem to have all the nice features of the Marta plus they are design to take more abuse, and I think they will not fade as Marta do. They are a bit more heavy than the Marta, but not heavier than the competition. I would really consider them for a 5+ in travel bike.

On my Meta 5.5 I have ORO Puros. Got them based on the reviews and their weight (can't help it ). They are very nice but I didn't manage to get them right yet. First of all, I'm not using them with the standard rotors, but Shimano CL XTRs; 180 front, 160 rear. With the Puros organic pads the lever feel is not that nice for me. Is like the pads are soft (which they are since the backplate is made form Alu). Also the weren't as powerful as my Martas or at least I didn't get that feeling. Also the comparison is not fair since the Marta are on the HT and the ORO on the Meta. Thus I decide to switch to the Sintered pads. The power is way better and the lever feel is suiting me more. Today I had the first real ride with the Sintered pads (after I bedded them in yesterday for one hour) and I like more the brakes now. BUT, I didn't get the feeling that they are way more powerful than the Marta. I know that I need to play with them, and most important I need to run them with the Formula rotors to reach to a unbiased conclusion.

I'm not trying to say that the Formula ORO are not good brakes, but I just wanted to share my experience with the. They will stay on the bike without question. I also have a pair of 200/180 formula rotors for the "Alps" like days .

If you are thinking at trying the Formula ORO get at least a 180 front rotor. But since you can buy from Germany you should think about Louise brakes. There are some shops that have them for good prices.

Hope this helps,
    Adrian

banned
    Nov 2007
    go with the 2008 xt brakes