mtbr member
    Sep 2004

new brake pads for Hardrock comp, help?

Hello everyone, I have a question for my Hardrock Comp. It came with these cheap Tektro IO disc brakes, and I'd like to replace the pads with aftermarket ones in hopes of improved braking power. Does anyone know what companies make replacement pads for these brakes? I've searched around and I can barely find info. on the brakes themselves let alone the pads. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are a few things you can try.

-Koolstop makes some of the best pads I've tried, and I'm generally partial to the dual compound. Making sure your rims are generally clean is also a good idea, because a dusty rim doesn't brake as well as a clean one, except on ceramic rims. (Which you don't have, so don't worry about it.)

-Make sure you understand how to properly align brake pads, because that will make a world of difference.

-Understand that OEM brakes are OK, but there are some far superior aftermarket brkes that will really wow you.

-I'm hoping you understand about how and why the front brake is more powerful than the rear brake. Because it is.

-Look into brake boosters if you're on a budget, and don't want to go as far as new brakes. They look funny at first, but they can work wonders sometimes.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

galfer replacements

Quote Originally Posted by leemr2
    Hello everyone, I have a question for my Hardrock Comp. It came with these cheap Tektro IO disc brakes, and I'd like to replace the pads with aftermarket ones in hopes of improved braking power. Does anyone know what companies make replacement pads for these brakes? I've searched around and I can barely find info. on the brakes themselves let alone the pads. Thanks!
    Very often with Taiwanese brakes, they use the exact same pad as another company, but without telling anyone. Do me a favor and fax (805-988-2948) me a tracing of both brake pads and I'll see if they match up with anything we do. Please put "attn. Andy" on the paper and give me your contact info.
    Thanks!
    Andy- bicycle division manager- Galfer USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uber-stupid
    There are a few things you can try.

-Koolstop makes some of the best pads I've tried, and I'm generally partial to the dual compound. Making sure your rims are generally clean is also a good idea, because a dusty rim doesn't brake as well as a clean one, except on ceramic rims. (Which you don't have, so don't worry about it.)

-Make sure you understand how to properly align brake pads, because that will make a world of difference.

-Understand that OEM brakes are OK, but there are some far superior aftermarket brkes that will really wow you.

-I'm hoping you understand about how and why the front brake is more powerful than the rear brake. Because it is.

-Look into brake boosters if you're on a budget, and don't want to go as far as new brakes. They look funny at first, but they can work wonders sometimes.
    I second what uber-stupid said. Especially the part about the koolstop pads.

check out the park tool website as it has a fairly good description for setting up v-brakes.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...arbrakes.shtml

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Guys, he has DISK brakes, so telling him how to set up V brakes isn't much help LOL!
    Look around for EBC pads, they should have fitting pads that are decent quality.
    Also maybe Galfer can help you(above). I'm not sure if Koolstop makes pads to fit your brakes, but if they do, then get those.
    Another option in the future is to upgrade to something like a Avid Mechanical or even a hydro. These will give you far better performance upgrades over any pad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

thanks

Thanks for all the help guys. I've checked out both EBC and Kool Stop and it SEEMs that they carry replacement pads for my tektro disc brakes.

http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/DiscBrakes/

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ba/asp...tm?link=bestwb

I'll call them up and ask to make sure. Also, ebc carries the green and gold pads, but not reds. Which ones do you guys feel have better stopping power? Thanks again. Also, I'll contact you Galfer if I still can't find what I need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yeah... oops

I saw "tektro" and forgot they're making disc brakes now.

I hope pads fix the problem for you...