mtbr member
    May 2009

New Brake Pad Blues

I recently changed my brake pads out on my front brakes (rear brakes soon) and I have been riding on them for 2 weeks now and they just won't connect..I'm not sure what the problem is, I have been using them to get the entergy connection going..but nothing...I got a long ride planned for the weekend and want these brakes to be working by then...any help?
    2008 Trek EX 8
    "Natural devotion may be enough to attract us to Jesus, ... but it will never make us disciples."

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is the brake lever soft or is there just a lack of power? If soft lever, bleed the brakes, if no power, clean the rotor and pads with isopropyl alcohol.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yeah I'm pretty sure the fluid is fine...I will clean the rotor see what happens...thanks!
    2008 Trek EX 8
    "Natural devotion may be enough to attract us to Jesus, ... but it will never make us disciples."

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Flame the pads over a gas burner/ring to burn off any contaminants that may have gotten on them. There's little point in cleaning just the rotors if the pads are also contaminated. IPA is fine for the rotors but will do little for the pads.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Clean everything with IPA or Brake Parts Cleaner. Next give the pads a light sanding and clean again. Rotor- Give it a good sanding so that you have a fresh metal surface for the pads to bed with.

To bed the pads ride the bike around the neighborhood and drag the brakes for 20-30 seconds then let the brakes cool for a minute but don't come to a complete stop with the brakes! Repeat this 10-15 times and your brakes should be fairly well bedded.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I also have another problem..I replaced the back pads..and its like they are too thick...makes climbing hell...the wheel won't even continue spinning with no contact to the ground, any help/.
    2008 Trek EX 8

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by building_miracles
    I also have another problem..I replaced the back pads..and its like they are too thick...makes climbing hell...the wheel won't even continue spinning with no contact to the ground, any help/.
    Remove the pads, use a plastic tire lever or something similar to push the pistons all the way back into the caliper. Once you install the pads again they should not be touching the rotor. After a few squeezes of the lever they should self adjust so that they retract ever so slightly from the rotor when you are not on the lever.

Look at the pistons carefully and don't put pressure on the center part that is sticking out, if your brakes have such an area....you don't want to break that part.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    they are avid juciy 5...and it does have that middle thing...I can't get it to go back in..
    2008 Trek EX 8

EDR
    Have you ever replaced the brake pads on a car/truck? If you have then it's exactly the same principal. You must push the pistons all the way back into the calipers before installing new pads, otherwise the new pads will likely not fit b/c they are much thicker than the ones they are replacing.