mtbr member
    Dec 2012

New brake lines (hydraulic)

I'm looking to swap out the brake lines on my bike....mostly because I hate white lines...and would like to know if anyone sells precut lines with fittings on them. I just don't want to waste $30 on a compression tool to use once.

It almost seems more cost effective at that point to just buy a new brake setup, sadly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What kind of brakes? Do you have a local shop that could help you out?

-RW

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Jagwire makes nice hose kits for many types, in a selection of colors.

No funky tools needed, you can scope the manual online I think.

Runs about 30$ for a kit that covers both brakes.

Oil and bleed kit for your brakes are not included though, factor that in or have a shop mount the lines.

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingWanderer View Post
    What kind of brakes? Do you have a local shop that could help you out?

-RW
    Tektro Draco

I called. They want $10/line...might as well buy the tool at that cost.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebR View Post
    Tektro Draco

I called. They want $10/line...might as well buy the tool at that cost.
    As Bear stated, Jagwire makes excellent lines and no special tools needed. You'd need their Hyflow quick fit hydraulic line and the HFA-801 quick fit adapter kit. Bear is also right, in that you are going to need the appropriate brake fluid and bleed kit. I think if you do the math on all the stuff needed, you're going to be disappointed.

Is the local shop charging you $10/line for new lines and installing them? If so, that is definately going to be the cheapest option you are going to find. If you want to start maintaining your own stuff, then you are going to have to spend the $$ for fluid and bleed kit at some point anyway.

If you are going to spend the $$ on Jagwire line, adapter kit, fluid and bleed kit, then I'd ask are you happy with your Tektro brakes? I've seen some really good deals lately on leftover 2012 Shimano SLX brake sets and would consider checking those out.

-RW

mtbr member
    I replaced the hoses on my xt's with jagwire. Execlent line just be carefull not to pinch the line or no mo hyflow, thats what the wrench said. I quess the Jagwire hoses are prone to pinch easier than shimano or other aftermarket lines.
    Last edited by J.R.A.; 01-29-2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add more

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I already have my own bleed kit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebR View Post
    I'm looking to swap out the brake lines on my bike....mostly because I hate white lines...and would like to know if anyone sells precut lines with fittings on them. I just don't want to waste $30 on a compression tool to use once.

It almost seems more cost effective at that point to just buy a new brake setup, sadly.
    If all you want to do is have different colour lines just go to an electrical supply store and purchase a few lengths of heat shrink tubing (available in many colors) - slip it over your existing lines, hit with a heat gun/hair dryer et voila, no more white lines - total cost prob 6 bucks. (I have done this a few times before!)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    If all you want to do is have different colour lines just go to an electrical supply store and purchase a few lengths of heat shrink tubing (available in many colors) - slip it over your existing lines, hit with a heat gun/hair dryer et voila, no more white lines - total cost prob 6 bucks. (I have done this a few times before!)
    That's a very good idea.

Thank you