mtbr member
    Mar 2012

New brake levers

I'm a bit new to mountain biking so I don't entirely know whats out on the market for upgrade parts. I'm looking for some upgrade brake levers for my GT Avalanche 3.0 with mech disk brakes. The stock ones work fine but I'm looking for something that gets me a little more braking force for the effort that I squeeze the lever. I already tried to optimize the rest of the brake setup (but I'm open to other ideas) to get the most out of it so the levers themselves are all that's left.

A friend of mine has some adjustable levers that you can adjust for an easier or a harder pull of the lever but I don't remember the brand name. I think something like that would be excellent if I can get them for my bike. Anyone have some suggestions for me about what I should look for?

Just Ride
    Avid Speed Dial 7 Brake Levers 2012 at Price Point

or a set from 2011 for only $20
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Excellent thank you. I'm glad to find that they're pretty cheap.

Huckin' trails
    SD7 FTW.

Get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    I also highly endorse the Avid Speed Dial series levers.

Slightly off topic...does anyone else miss the feature on the older Avid Speed Dial leveres where you can see how far the dial is adjusted, I believe it was called "view port?" The older levers were more industrial/mechanical looking compared to the more rounded/bloated looks of the new levers.

Edit, found an image of the older speed dials...
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Huckin' trails
    Yeah, the old ones also had a nice look.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Yup I miss the old veiw port models. I've got a set on the commuter. They do look nicer than the new 7s, and the view port makes set up easier. Oh well, things always change I guess.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"