mtbr member
    May 2006

New Brake Advice Needed

I'm looking at some new brakes for 09. I've always used Avid J. 5's and Shim. XT's. But I really want to get something a bit nicer for my new build. Just XC riding, 6" rotors f/r. Was thinking about Magura Marta SL's or Avid Elixir CR. Then I saw the new Hayes Gram's.

Does any one have experience with the Hayes? Never owned any of there's, but lots of friends have them specd. on bikes and no real complaints (lower end models). In fact, none of there brakes make any sound compaired to mine.

Are the Gram's equal to the Magura and Avids in terms of quality, reliabilty, ease of set up?

Lemme know.
    Thanks for any info.

ride hard take risks
    Hayes has been around a long time manufacturing brakes for the MTB industry as well as for motos. They sponsor and are on bikes of many top racers and riders in in all forms of MTB. Both brakes you have used are excellent also and have the same credentials to prove themselves yet the one that has the last say whether they are better then the others is you. Personally I feel the Hayes give the best feel and feedback so you can really control the brakes allowing you to ride the trail and not think about over or under braking whenever you go for the brakes. Try out your buds Hayes brakes and see what you think by the way which models do they have?

Stroker bleeding video
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kananaskis
    I'm looking at some new brakes for 09. I've always used Avid J. 5's and Shim. XT's. But I really want to get something a bit nicer for my new build. Just XC riding, 6" rotors f/r. Was thinking about Magura Marta SL's or Avid Elixir CR. Then I saw the new Hayes Gram's.

Does any one have experience with the Hayes? Never owned any of there's, but lots of friends have them specd. on bikes and no real complaints (lower end models). In fact, none of there brakes make any sound compaired to mine.

Are the Gram's equal to the Magura and Avids in terms of quality, reliabilty, ease of set up?

Lemme know.
    Thanks for any info.
    IMHO.....nothing Hayes and Avid makes can come close to the feel, quality, and power of Magura Marta SL. It's like comparing a new Corvette, to a..........Porsche.

I have tried Hope/Formula/Shimano and the Magura closely beats those other high-end brakesets. The only weakness of the Magura Marta SL is the modulation.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"