mtbr member

New bike disc brake problems

My new Jamis Komodo was just dropped off today (a day early, I love it!) and I noticed some brake rub right off the bat. When I tried adjusting the barrels it seemed to not do much if anything, so I tried adjusting the stationary pad. Somehow it made the moving pad wayyy further from the rotor to the point that it won't even touch, and there is a ton of slack in the cable. I tried adjusting barrels again (I'm not even sure which way should do what) and still got nothing. I'll probably take it to my LBS tomorrow, but if I could fix it myself without going there with your help it would be great.

Also, is a little brake rub on a new bike normal? I wasn't sure. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This should give you a general idea: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=124

If you don't have avids, you will adjust the stationary pad with some sort of wrench and adjust the moving pad with the barrel adjuster. Unscrewing the barrel will move the pad closer.

Also, try searching youtube.

mtbr member
    Thanks man! I checked out the stationary pad and that doesn't seem to be the problem. After tinkering for a while I decided I would just take it to a shop and see if they could help me out. They ended up taking it and saying they'd charge me $20, oh well. But the killer is that they said it'd be a day or two for the few minutes itll take them. I want to ride sooooo bad but I can't now. At least I know it'll be set up right. I'm a little squemish to adjust too much on a brand new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Probably should just ride it for a day or two.....let the bike settle in....then start the adjustments...

In the end you will be your bikes best mechanic.