mtbr member

New Bike: Brakes Pulsing/Surging - Wheel Out of Round

Brand new - FELT Nine Trail:

I noticed my disc brakes were surging on the trail. When I got home and lifted the bike to spin the wheels. They are both misaligned and off-center really bad. This as after the dealer said they would do a quick setup of the bike before letting me go with it. WTF?! There's NO way a bike manufacturer would let a bike leave the factory in that shape, would they. I've had a lot of bikes ion my life and I never got one that had wheels as wobbly as this one! Ironically, the most expensive I've ever purchased. I tried adjusting the spokes with a spoke wrench but it doesn't fix the problem.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Are you sure it's the wheels and not the tires?

Treads aren't always centered that well, and if the tires aren't seated right in the beads, it would also look a bit funny. So you should remove the tires before deciding the wheels are off.

If they are wrong, call the dealer and say "WTF!?"

Tuning stuff on bikes coming out of the factory can be pretty bad, including the condition of wheels. They're built on a machine, and I sometimes wonder if they get any human attention before being shipped.

Warped rotor might cause your disc brake problems.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

dirtbag
    Yeah, tires could be mounted wonky. Put the wheels on a truing stand. That'll tell you if your wheels need to be trued.

But your issue is surging brakes. An out of true rim wouldn't affect braking on a disc brake set up. A rim brake set up, yes. Is the rotor warped as well. Could be you just need to bed the pads/rotors on your new bike.

Sounds like your LBS needs to do a better job when they prep new bikes.
    Amolan