Just Ride

New BB7's or decend hydro brakes?

Bah, I can't make up my mind if I want to go with BB7's which I can get with speed dial levers for under $125 both front and rear. 185 front and 160 rear. Or if I should spurge for a decent set of hydros for closer to $300. After shipping and tax and all that jazz. I have till spring to figure it out so a couple months left to toss the pros and cons of each around. I figured the community here could help.

I ride single track/XC I still can't figure out what it's called in my area. Just started this past summer. I have a 29er HT. No real nasty downhills so my stock low spec mechanicals work just fine. But as I get faster on the trails my need for good stopping power has increased. I don't really modulate the brakes to much. Just used mostly to shave speed here and there as needed. There are some sections where I get some really good speed only to have to slow up rather quickly for a tight turn. I manage those areas without skidding. As for the technical areas, there aren't any that are that difficult. I can generally set my speed before entering and roll through. For the rare spots where I'm basically at crawling speed, the brakes give me no problems.

Would the almost double cost of hydros be worth it? Or would BB7's do me just fine? I like the idea that I can individually adjust inner and outer pad on the BB7 to fine tune. I'm not sure the price range where that becomes an option on hydros.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Bike to the Bone...
    I have some BB7 on my HT and Magura Louise on my FS. Both are pretty good, but if I were to keep one I'd go with hydros. However, I think that the BB7 will fit your requirements pretty good.

If you don't mind the difference in price, I would go with some hydros (maybe Shimano SLX, Magura MT2, some friends really love their Elixirs, I didn't).

FKA Malibu412
    Cable brakes will stop fine but I find the hydros take less effort for the same braking requirements and, therefore, allow me to concentrate more on other factors when riding at speed. And, they're mostly self-adjusting. I've used both BB5s and BB7s for a short time on a couple of my bikes and if budget were more of an issue, they would be great. If you can step up to hydros, the feel and set-and-forget aspects are very nice.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    BB7's are fine.
    Hydro' s can be better. or worse...
    More complicated for sure, and more expensive.
    I have some BB7's on my bike, 185 160 and only miss the slighty better feel of the hydraulics.
    Don't miss the messing with oil or DOT however.
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Mechanical brakes are done.
    Make the move to hydros and never look back.
    Getting used to the hydro differences is a matter of a new learning curve.
    Heck, Cantilever and V-brakes had thier antics too, but I got used to it.

Texan
    I prefer hydro's but for a HT bike, I would definitely consider the cheaper BB7s. With a full boinger you would be carrying more speed when you need the brakes the most and I would for sure prefer hydro's in that case.

For trail riding on a HT, I would go with the BB7's.

Just Ride
    Thanks for the input. I'm sure I'll be happy with either I choose. Maybe I'll put BB7s on my current bike and hydros for my future build.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I prefer hydro's but for a HT bike, I would definitely consider the cheaper BB7s. With a full boinger you would be carrying more speed when you need the brakes the most and I would for sure prefer hydro's in that case.

For trail riding on a HT, I would go with the BB7's.
    Full suspension is faster than Hardtail?? Do tell....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The new Shimano Deore hydros are awesome and cost very similar to BB7's. Go hydro.