Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    11

    New BB7 problems

    Hey I got my Avid BB7's in the mail today, I took out the rear caliper and disk and put the disk on the rear wheel, I then opened up the box with the front rotor and caliper and the caliper is stuck tight to the disk. I cannot get them apart for the life of me. Neither of the adjuster knobs spin in or out, and the actuation arm will not move at all either. Defective parts or I dont know the secret to these brakes. Any help appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,281
    the problem is in the adjuster knobs......they were probably turned all the way clock-wise for shipping.....you need to turn them counter clock-wise.......

    both knobs can be a royal pain in the ass to turn when your brakes are not mounted on the bike for leverage (hell, even when mounted, the big inner dial has always been hard to turn).........try using some pliers without damaging the knobs......the smaller knob (out board knob) should be easier to turn than the big (inner) knob.

    worse come to worse, you can remove the red dials by prying them off with a flat-head screw driver, and then turn the center metallic rectangular thingy with some pliers, then just put the red dials back on. hope this helps.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    11
    sweet worked like a charm. thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,281
    no problem.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    151
    are the skewers/hub evenly placed in the frame dropouts? weird problem you have here, I would take off the wheel and fully back out both brake pads..if possible, if not defective.I have a really balky inner pad adjuster that is a bear to turn, is better if I take the wheel off and turn the knob all the way in and out a few times a year.you have caliper adapter problems maybe?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    244
    About those dials, particularly the large, inboard one - go buy yourself a Torx T-25 screwdriver - they're $5 at Sears and the proper tool for the job. For whatever reason, that dial is a royal PITA to turn by hand but when using the T-25 screwdriver, it moves nice and easy, with positive incremental clicks.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,200
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    About those dials, particularly the large, inboard one - go buy yourself a Torx T-25 screwdriver - they're $5 at Sears and the proper tool for the job. For whatever reason, that dial is a royal PITA to turn by hand but when using the T-25 screwdriver, it moves nice and easy, with positive incremental clicks.
    That's assuming the calipers are 2008 or newer. In 2007 and years prior, the inboard pad did not have the torx insert. Crappy, since the BB5s have had it for years.

    Huzza - He hasn't even mounted the front yet, it's just that they were clamped when he pulled them out of the box. I've found that it's usually easier to turn the outboard pad before the inboard one, particularly during installation.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: moralleper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    139
    They actually come with a torx wrench and it fits in the center of the rear knob. That is was I used to get mine adjusted.
    Last edited by moralleper; 05-28-2009 at 11:47 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by HUZZA
    are the skewers/hub evenly placed in the frame dropouts? weird problem you have here, I would take off the wheel and fully back out both brake pads..if possible, if not defective.I have a really balky inner pad adjuster that is a bear to turn, is better if I take the wheel off and turn the knob all the way in and out a few times a year.you have caliper adapter problems maybe?

    try reading all the responses prior to yours, along with the original post.... the problem was with the caliper being stuck to the disc while still in the box.. so your suggestion about it having to do something to do with the wheel is completely out there. and the problem was already solved.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike
    try reading all the responses prior to yours, along with the original post.... the problem was with the caliper being stuck to the disc while still in the box.. so your suggestion about it having to do something to do with the wheel is completely out there. and the problem was already solved.
    gee thanks jackass, I WAS COMPOSING ANSWER AND BY THE TIME I POSTED THERE WERE THAT MANY ANSWERS...TOO LAZY TO DELETE SO F!@!#%k U.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by HUZZA
    gee thanks jackass, I WAS COMPOSING ANSWER AND BY THE TIME I POSTED THERE WERE THAT MANY ANSWERS...TOO LAZY TO DELETE SO F!@!#%k U.
    Ignoring all the posts between the ops and yours, you do realize the answer you posted didnt even address the original posters problem, right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •