mtbr member
    Dec 2003

New B4sl+ has no modulation

I have about 15 rides with my new B4sl+'s on my Salty and I get zero modulation, wheels want to lock up especially the front making for some not so great rides. Figured maybe alittle break in was in order but doesn't seem to be the case just to much power for my liking.

Any help would to appreciated. thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    thanks for the reply Steve. I live on a hill and have done several runs down trying to break in the pads but nothing at extreme speeds. Will find a steeper descend and do as you suggest. Will give them alittle time.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Follow Steve's recommendations to break the pads/rotors in. If, after this, you still don't have modulation, something is wrong.

Of all the brakes I owned and raced on (Formula B4s, Formula B4 SLs, Formula B4 SL+, XTR/XT, Hope C2 Pro, Hope Mono Mini, and Hope Mini), the Formulas have had the best modulation! I love being able to 1-finger brake with the Formulas and being able to *feel* the brake actually working.

I recently removed a set of Mono Minis and installed a set of B4 SL+ and you can really feel the difference between the two brakes. I'd have to say that the power, modulation and weight advantage go to the B4 SL+.

I just got my new set of Marta SLs (which I'll have mounted tonight) so this will give me a great head-to-head-to-head-to-head comparison between most of the top-end XC brakes: Hope Mono Minis, XTRs, Formula B4 SL+ and Magura Marta. I've never really been a fan of Hayes, since they lack modulation and have excess weight due to the required adapters. But, I'd like to try a set of the Hayes Mag Pluses, just to see since it has been a while since I've ridden Hayes.

Anyway, be sure and report back here if you have any more issues with your Formuals....we'll get it sorted out.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

just along for the ride
    Mike you might want to add the '04 XT's to your list, better deal than the XTR andhey the XT rotor is the fix for the XTR howl (according to shimano). I know its a PITA having to go with new wheels but there is weight savings going to a spline system for the rotor. Plus the new XT's are very impressive stoppers. Break in was once down the block running metalic pads (I'm 200 lbs running the 160's). I get modulation and power, throw is about 3/4 of an inch and only use one finger or get ready to be launched. Having run Hayes the XT's are way more powerful and modulate better, but its shimano so your milage may vary, have fun!.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Phippy
    I have about 15 rides with my new B4sl+'s on my Salty and I get zero modulation, wheels want to lock up especially the front making for some not so great rides. Figured maybe alittle break in was in order but doesn't seem to be the case just to much power for my liking.
    I've had lots of brakes and the B4SL, for me, is the ultimate king of modulation! Unless our perceptions or expectations are very different I think there must be something wrong with your brakes but I can't imagine what.

If they were my brakes I'd sand off the surface and break them in all over again.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.