mtbr member
    Jul 2011

New Avid X0 trail brakes, same old problems

As a heads up to anyone interested in the new Avid X0 trail brakes (4 piston version), they have the same noise issues as any other avid series brakes. In fact, for my bike (stumpjumper evo) the noise and vibration issue is worse with this new brake than my old elixir CRs.

Things I've tried so far:

Bedding in brakes as per avid's/peoples suggestion.
    using brake goo between pad and metal clip.
    sanding rotor/pads and cleaning with alcohol.
    Re-seating caliper about a billion times.

I swapped on my girlfriend's XT's on the back brake, and noise issue is gone. The X0 trails on her bike (santa cruz carbon blur) seem to make less noise ( but still 1000X more noise than the XTs) , and they perform better so she's getting the $600 upgrade.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry to hear your upgrade was really a bust for you, but girls like new things

I think all brakes have their certain issues. It just appears Avid cannot get away from this noise/turkey gooble issue. The only think I can see consistant across Avids is their CPS mounting system. I think with certain frames/rotors combos, it just does not stay quiet.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and sorry for the price you had to pay to gleam this info. I guess this confirms that I'll not be looking at Avid's when I update my brakes on my current ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had the same turkey call on my first ride with the new XOs. Although, I think I might have botched the bed-in process, and it could be due to the crazy sand I rode in. I'm going to hold off judgement until I rough up the rotors and pads, then re-try the bedding-in.

Question: When you set yours up after cutting the CRAZY long hose and bleeding them, did you have to have the pad contact dialed all the way in and the reach almost all the way out to get a good lever feel?

Sorry and thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    New pads? In same place in this forum a user install green formula pads.. Not definitely solution but is better a scretching sound

Enviado de meu GT-P1000L usando o Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I found switching to Alligator rotors got rid of the noise issues I've had with the Juicy 3's and Elixir CR's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JHCreighton View Post
    I had the same turkey call on my first ride with the new XOs. Although, I think I might have botched the bed-in process, and it could be due to the crazy sand I rode in. I'm going to hold off judgement until I rough up the rotors and pads, then re-try the bedding-in.

Question: When you set yours up after cutting the CRAZY long hose and bleeding them, did you have to have the pad contact dialed all the way in and the reach almost all the way out to get a good lever feel?

Sorry and thanks.
    Yes! I thought I was crazy. After a few rides the contact point is more normal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    I found switching to Alligator rotors got rid of the noise issues I've had with the Juicy 3's and Elixir CR's.
    do you have a specialized bike? The vibration on these rear triangles is absolutely insane, not just the noise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just got a pair of XO's for my single speed what I noticed right away is these brakes work so much better than my Elixer cr's with much less noise. However, I can tell you I have new XTR brakes on my FS and those things are amazing compared to the XO's. No noise, little fade and they work great. They do not make a peep on steep long DH. I like the XO's however if I had to do again I would stick with XTR.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just a little update for those who are interested, or maybe just another way to vent--besides leaving a heated voicemail for Avid HQ.
    After sanding the pads and rotors, applying Squeal Out to the rotors, then cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol, the turkey wobble still persists in the rear brake. I can't say as to whether the problem is still in the front, because I've GOT NO FREAKING PAD CONTACT AFTER ONE RIDE! At full lever pull, with the pad contact dialed all the way in, the pads barely reach the rotor. I couldn't stop if a stiff wind were at my back. What the heck, Avid? I can't sell these brakes to folks if I can't get even my own set to work reliably.

mtbr member
    I just finished bleeding my front Avids tonight. You have an air bubble in your front brake system and requires a bleed. Sucks, but you'll need to do it or get it done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well, of course. I bled them right after I trimmed the hoses. The point is that from a short Sunday ride (the first ride right after the trim and bleed) to today they remained untouched--and there's already air in the line? Avid has had ample time to address issues with their hydros. The rep comes into a shop and says, "This time we've fixed the issues, we've made things better," and then rides prove otherwise after shop employees make the purchase. That's a serious problem, and too many people are experiencing identical problems for it to be a simple QC error in the manufacturing. We need answers and solutions. Real answers and real solutions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    avid brakes
    sram chains
    avid cassettes

what do they have in common? they seriously suck

mtbr member
    I think you missed an air bubble. I had to bleed mine three times before I got all my bubbles out. I'm not saying that this is right (it's not and it's a pain in the ass), it is what it is.

I agree that their system should bleed better than what it does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Update---

Put on some new XT's (girlfriend didn't want to lose hers LOL) and all is well. Bedded in perfectly and actually got twitchy yesterday on the trails due to having so much braking power that I'm not used to. I heard a tiny bit of noise when I first bedded them in, but the interesting thing is that when I heard the squeal, there was 0 vibration. Avids just suck. I went for a super dusty ride yesterday with no squeaks, squawks, or vibration. I can't believe I bought a pair of brakes that are 1/2 the price and work infinitely better than the X0s,

My X0s are relegated to my POS hardtail now (ironic).