Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    50

    New Avid post mount brackets?

    Hi there, planning to upgrade the front brake on my 2010 SJ FSR to a 203mm Avid X0 brake and have been looking for a post to post mount adapter.

    I happened to notice a photo of the adapters being used on the 2011's. Are these for real or just used for display? If they are available any ideas where to get them?



    Just seems like a total waste of post mount brakes to bolt an adapter on then bolt the brake to the adapter. Much bigger fan of the 185mm adapters that bolt through the adapter to the posts.

    Thanks for any feedback

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    50
    Ok, so after some more searching, it does appear that these 'post extenders' are standard on 2011 Specialized bikes. Seems like something that should be easy to find on the internet but I have had no luck!!

    Any ideas?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    If they are specific to Specialized then you'll likely have to hit up a Specialized dealer. The only online sales that Specialized authorizes are on their own website. If you can't find them there then a dealer is the only other way to get them.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  4. #4
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,188
    You just need a standard 74mm post mount bracket for a 203mm rotor...nothing special,
    .you'll need longer bolts to go through the extra length of adapter!

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by drewgold
    Hi there, planning to upgrade the front brake on my 2010 SJ FSR to a 203mm Avid X0 brake and have been looking for a post to post mount adapter.

    I happened to notice a photo of the adapters being used on the 2011's. Are these for real or just used for display? If they are available any ideas where to get them?



    Just seems like a total waste of post mount brakes to bolt an adapter on then bolt the brake to the adapter. Much bigger fan of the 185mm adapters that bolt through the adapter to the posts.

    Thanks for any feedback
    I would rather use the Avid 203 PM bracket. Lower profile and likely stiffer.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,188
    I just looked at the photo more closely and now see what you mean!

    +1

    agree with shiggy with the Avid being more rigid... think "Lopes Link" for the Ibis!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman
    You just need a standard 74mm post mount bracket for a 203mm rotor...nothing special,
    .you'll need longer bolts to go through the extra length of adapter!
    As far as I know the 203 adapter bolts to the posts and then the caliper bolts to the adapter. I haven't seen any that bolt directly through, but that would be ideal. Aside from the added weight, you end up with one part bolted to another, bolted to another...seems like some stiffness will be sacrificed there anyway.

    Sent an email to Specialized asking about it, I'll see what they say! Thanks for all the feedback!

  8. #8
    Biking Like Crazy!
    Reputation: blcman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by drewgold
    As far as I know the 203 adapter bolts to the posts and then the caliper bolts to the adapter. I haven't seen any that bolt directly through, but that would be ideal. Aside from the added weight, you end up with one part bolted to another, bolted to another...seems like some stiffness will be sacrificed there anyway.

    Sent an email to Specialized asking about it, I'll see what they say! Thanks for all the feedback!
    My bad ..my 185mm adapters go straight thru but my 203mm's use 2 extra bolts!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    50
    Well, no luck. The response from Specialized:

    Hi,
    I think the extenders are custom made by us and unfortunately they are not
    available aftermarket. Maybe at some point Avid will offer something similar
    aftermarket.
    Thanks

    JONATHAN PILON Specialized Customer service department

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cant fix a flat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by drewgold
    Well, no luck. The response from Specialized:

    Hi,
    I think the extenders are custom made by us and unfortunately they are not
    available aftermarket. Maybe at some point Avid will offer something similar
    aftermarket.
    Thanks

    JONATHAN PILON Specialized Customer service department
    see if Specialized will give you the length and make your own out of aluminum or delrin

  11. #11
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Quote Originally Posted by cant fix a flat
    see if Specialized will give you the length and make your own out of aluminum or delrin
    I would not make this out of aluminum or especially not delrin.

    No need to ask Spec for the length, either. It looks like they incorporated half of the lower CPS washer in the tube so knowing the length is useless.

    I made my own PM spacers for 185mm from thick wall (0.165?) steel tubing, cut to 12.5mm long on a lathe. But I really would not want to use the 21.5mm spacer and longer bolts needed for a 203mm rotor. The Avid bracket is still the better choice.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •