mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Need something better.

I picked up an 05 specialized hardrock SS a few weeks ago, been having some fun on it. While the factory tektro mech. Disc brakes are leaps and bounds over what I was used to on my harp bmx bike but I still feel like there could be some major improvement.

Terrain will be alot of urban and single track. I like riding around town hitting some jumps and doing stoppies here and there along with some other sorta stunt riding just having fun.

I'm a light guy at 150lb and it's not like I'm riding downhill but the tektro's just feel like ****.

Is the upgrade to hydro's worth it or should I just throw on some bb7's and ride?

I'm on a tight budget, and I don't mind buying used. But I'm not going to spend $300 on brakes to go on a bike I have $150 in.

I appreciate the help.
    05 specialized hardrock SS.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 slo-vo View Post
    I picked up an 05 specialized hardrock SS a few weeks ago, been having some fun on it. While the factory tektro mech. Disc brakes are leaps and bounds over what I was used to on my harp bmx bike but I still feel like there could be some major improvement.

Terrain will be alot of urban and single track. I like riding around town hitting some jumps and doing stoppies here and there along with some other sorta stunt riding just having fun.

I'm a light guy at 150lb and it's not like I'm riding downhill but the tektro's just feel like ****.

Is the upgrade to hydro's worth it or should I just throw on some bb7's and ride?

I'm on a tight budget, and I don't mind buying used. But I'm not going to spend $300 on brakes to go on a bike I have $150 in.

I appreciate the help.
    I think that BB7 are the way to go, they're pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    From looking around the prices eve new are right at what I'm looking for.

I'm just wondering if I would like the feel of the hydro better, I guess I need to try to take a ride on something with some and see what I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    XT hydro's, or even SLX are pretty powerful
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How about the 2012 avid elixer 1 hydro's?

I found a new set for pretty cheap, about $40 more then what I could get the bb7's setup for.

Class Clown
    2 letters 1 number, you guessed it, BB7

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    2 letters 1 number, you guessed it, BB7
    it might come back to bite me, but i jumped on the avid elixer's earlier, i actually got them cheaper then i could have got the bb7's for.

ill try them out and see if i like the feel of hydro, if not then i can always go back to cable.

b a n n e d
    it might come back to bite me, but i jumped on the avid elixer's earlier, i actually got them cheaper then i could have got the bb7's for.

ill try them out and see if i like the feel of hydro, if not then i can always go back to cable.
    I personally think that hydro's feel much better . . . but I'll be honest, I don't know if you'll get that feeling from Elixir 1's . . . I had a set of 5's that never really felt good to me. Swapped them out for some Hope's and all was made right in the world. Still have the Elixir's though and will hold on to them as either back ups or for a commuter build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For the price I figured I'd try them.

It was $105 shipped for them brand new with g3 160 rotors and IS mounts.

Worse comes to worse I can swap something else on later if I don't like it. But anything has to be better them worn out tektro's

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    For me going to hydro's from BB7's was almost as significant improvement as going from V- brakes to BB7's. Hydraulic brakes once set up, pretty much maintenance free and offers more power & light/snappy lever feel.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That's what I was hoping to hear,will be a week or two before they come in from hong kong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well the elixr's came in much earlier then I thought.

Just got them on, the front hose seems very short. The guy told me they came off a medium sized bike so I didn't think twice but it's just long enough to work, just looks kind of silly.

I haven't got them bedded in yet but I like the feel, seem to be much faster responding then the mech's. I was playing around trying some stoppie's and not being used to the brakes I accidentally locked the front. My first thought was that I was going over the bars but I released as quick as I could and sure enough saved it.

I guess I need to go find a decent sized hill to get the pads bedded in.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

b a n n e d
    Uhhh, the "short" hose might have something to do with the fact that your handlebars have a 4" rise??

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yea that's part of it, I'm debating on going to a set of flat bars, but I sure do like the feel of these.

b a n n e d
    Yea that's part of it, I'm debating on going to a set of flat bars, but I sure do like the feel of these.
    There's nothing wrong with having high-rise handle bars, however, that is REALLY high. Maybe a 1-2" rise?

You can also have the hose replaced on those brakes as well to accomodate your set-up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They were on the bike when I bought it about a month ago. So I'm still working my way through it.

But for getting back into riding they "felt" right because I was used to my old haro bmx bike.

I'm planning on a set of 2 inch rise bars, just not sure which ones I want to run yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i have to say, im loving the feel of the hydro's over the mechs. i went on a short slow ride while the wife walked (were getting close to the due date for the baby so she's trying to speed things up) it gave me some time to play with them and get used to it.

hopefully i can get out this weekend and really try them out on the dirt.