Got Trails?

Need some rotor Help?

I currently am running avid bb7 brakes with roundagon 160 rotors. The stopping power has always been very good but I have had these rotors now for 3-4 yrs. Is there a time frame that I should replace them and if so what would be a good affordable upgrade. So far I have my eye on the avid G2? Also can I go up in size to maybe the 180 without having to change anything else out on the bike. I would like to have a little larger rotor?
    Thanks
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    I've been using disc brakes since they started becoming more common in the mid-to-late 1990s. Many bikes have come and gone and many sets of brake pads have been replaced, but never did I wear out a bike's disc rotor. Perhaps a heavy downhill rider can get their disc rotor hot enough to warp like automotive disc rotors, but I've never done so myself.

As for changing rotors, you can easily swap to a larger rotor, just be sure to purchase the corresponding adapter to properly distance your caliper from the axle. The limiting factor would be that placed on your fork by its manufacturer and the type of axle attachment you have. Some of the lighter forks meant for cross country racers were not rated for the torque exerted by the larger brake rotors; I doubt the fork would snap in half, but it could void the warranty. I've also found that the larger the rotor, the more likely it is for 9mm-quick-release type axles to shift in the drop outs and result in brake rub; this problem does not exist for thru-axle type forks; I personally wouldn't go above 185mm rotor on a 9mm axle front fork.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

Got Trails?
    My current rotors are not too bad. However I want better braking upfront. Since most of the braking power is from the front. I figured 185mm was a good size to jump to. I hope so anyway
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    lesson learned

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by jontry1 View Post
    lesson learned
    ? what lesson
    I Fear No Beer

Simply changing the style of rotor is unlikely to get you any increase in braking performance. On the other hand, increasing the rotor diameter will definitely improve performance.

I like Alligator rotors, as they're half the price of Avids and I've found them to be at least as good, if not better in regards to vibration. The ones I run are just a bit lighter than Avids, and I think they look better.

Consider 203 in front and 160 in the rear. You'll need a new caliper adapter when you change rotor size.

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
    Simply changing the style of rotor is unlikely to get you any increase in braking performance. On the other hand, increasing the rotor diameter will definitely improve performance.

I like Alligator rotors, as they're half the price of Avids and I've found them to be at least as good, if not better in regards to vibration. The ones I run are just a bit lighter than Avids, and I think they look better.

Consider 203 in front and 160 in the rear. You'll need a new caliper adapter when you change rotor size.
    I already ordered the Avid G2 185mm rotor,adapter and bolts to fit it. I am keeping the 160mm rotor in the rear though. I chose the 185mm because from all the people I have talked to and threads I read the 203mm is designed more for DH. I also got the Avid G2 for $22 brand new so thats not a bad deal
    I Fear No Beer

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winter View Post
    I've been using disc brakes since they started becoming more common in the mid-to-late 1990s. Many bikes have come and gone and many sets of brake pads have been replaced, but never did I wear out a bike's disc rotor. Perhaps a heavy downhill rider can get their disc rotor hot enough to warp like automotive disc rotors, but I've never done so myself.
    From personal experience I can say that it is indeed possible to wear out rotors. Many sets of Shimano metallic pads and several years of Northern California up-and-down fire road riding did it for me. The pads had worn a visible channel into the rotor.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!