mtbr member

Need Some Hydraulic Brakes

Need to switch to Hydro's and all Ive seen are bad reviews on Avid and Shimano. Im looking at the XT/XTR and the XO brakes.

Tell me what you have and if you like them. And if you have come across a great deal, where at?

I need to make a purchase pretty quick, my frame will be here in a few days and Id like the brakes to get here at the same time. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've only read good reviews of the Shimanos. I don't have the XT/XTRs, but I do have the SLXs and think they're fabulous, so the XT/XTRs are probably even better.

Life Is Short
    Agreed on Shimano, I have XT and Deore and they are like SONY tv's.
    Good out side of the box. Also a Hayes fan as well. But if you want to
    spend more & get quality, Shimano. In fact never had a set that rubbed
    and adjustments are easy.

Shimano XT M775 Pre-Bled Disc Brake at Price Point

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    jsilva must be really positive of the negatives of the xt and xtr brakes. Ive read the '12 xt and xtr have leaks at the caliper pistons and the xt has reservoir leaks.

Not all users experienced the sames issues with thier shimanos but they do have problems.

The xt/xtr are a great set if you dont have the above mentioned problems but, if you can shell out the cash, formula The One are imo are the best brakes ive ever tried.

I myself own '12 avid elixir 9 and love them. They dont have any issues and are quiet. Unlike the older reservoir of previous elixirs the '12 elixirs (7, 9, XX) have a redigned reservoir that reduces or elimantes trapped air in the system.

I chose the elixir over the xt because the problems xt owners were having with thier brakes.

mtbr member
    My bike is set up with bb5's right now. I was looking thru the thread with the XT's and it looks like alot of people like them. I think im going to go with the Shimano XT M785 trails. I bought a new Niner frame and Im moving everything over but wanted to upgrade my brakes at the same time. Could I use my avid rotors with these or do I need to pick up some different rotors?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    jsilva must be really positive of the negatives of the xt and xtr brakes. Ive read the '12 xt and xtr have leaks at the caliper pistons and the xt has reservoir leaks.
    Did you mean to write that I'm being "positive about the negatives"?

I recall someone who had a leak at one caliper which was hard to diagnose but I think ended up being the hose/banjo. I've also heard about the seals in previous model XT/XTR calipers leaking when used in very cold weather.

But I personally haven't read a bad review and I don't think I'm being presumptuous in saying that the majority of XT/XTR owners aren't experiencing leaks. Every manufacturer is going to make a defective product sometimes and a few bad experiences is no cause for alarm.

Or is there some widespread leaking issue that (somehow) isn't widely known?

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by KEITH21 View Post
    My bike is set up with bb5's right now. I was looking thru the thread with the XT's and it looks like alot of people like them. I think im going to go with the Shimano XT M785 trails. I bought a new Niner frame and Im moving everything over but wanted to upgrade my brakes at the same time. Could I use my avid rotors with these or do I need to pick up some different rotors?
    You have BB5's and you want something better quick ? Well get two BB7 calipers and use your existing setup. Then wait a few weeks or so for a good deal on hydro to show up and make yourself another treat then you can sell the whole BB5&7, rotors, levers, etc and offset the cost a bit. That's my suggestion if you can't get hydro as fast as you'd like.

Or just keep the BB5 meanwhile...
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Found some XT M785 trails for $240 for the set without rotors. I was a little confused on the reviews for the Shimano's but it does look like a large majority are very happy with them.

Bike to the Bone...
    Another option to look at are Magura MT2 or MT4. I'm debating between the XT and MT4... leaning toward Magura, but I'm not 100% sure, I think that both are pretty good.