mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Need some help...hydraulic disc brake question

Hey all,

I am new to this forum but I heard it might be a place where I could have a question answered.

I bought a used mtn bike a few weeks ago and it came with an old pair of Hayes 9 XC hydraulic disc brakes. When I purchased the bike, there was pretty much no fluid in the brakes and it hadn't been ridden in a few months. When I took it to the shop to have them bled, the mechanic told me that since there was no fluid, he was 99% sure that they were broken beyond repair and I should just buy new ones. What do y'all think? Is the mechanic lying to me? Any help with this would be awesome.

Thanks
    Nick

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My thought is that it probably depends on how long the brakes were without fluid and possibly the storage conditions for the bike. My feeling is that unless he charges an outrageous fee for bleeding the brakes (it shouldn't be more expensive than a standard bleed since he shouldn't be using any more fluid) what's the harm in trying it out?
    Last edited by jsilva; 06-02-2013 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    In general, it's hard to imagine "broken" beyond repair. A better answer might be "broken beyond worth repairing". Parts/pieces can add up pretty quick if a whole brake system (lever and caliper) need to be dis-assembled and rebuild with new parts. My guess is the mechanic was making a WAG (Wild A.. Guess) as to what he/she was going to find when getting in there and thought life would be so much easier if the whole system was just replaced with new.

So going back and trying to figure out what to do? If the mechanic were cool, try a bleed. Still cheaper and faster then going through and replacing the whole brake system. If it that's not successful, he can start an estimate as to what it'll cost to "repair" and compare it to a "new". That's what "service" is all about.

Never enough time to ride
    If I were the mechanic I would try a bleed first. If you end up with air in the system again then it's time for new lines and likely a master cylinder and caliper rebuild. Have him give you a quote and then you can decide if they are worth the money to rebuild. Newer systems are more powerful and lighter and arguably more reliable, although those old Hayes were bloody hard to kill.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!