mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Need some help! Which brakes to get?

I've got an '08 YETI 575 with XT brakes and HATE them! I cannot get the pads to stop dragging. I've cleaned the pistons and opened up the return springs, used spacers and genrally have done everything to align them with no luck.

It's time for some new brakes (Front and Rear). I ride XC / All mountain and have heard the Juicy 7's are pretty nice once set up and include pad-contact adjustability. Are these any good or are there others out there that would be better?

mtbr member

Elixirs

If you're not afraid of Avid from the Turkey Gobble stuff...

I just upgraded from Juicy 5's to Elixir CR's. From previousposts (use the search...!) they are generally well liked. I love them so far; much more power and better feel than the Juicys. Get a 185 for the front and 160 rear.

My 2 cents.
    CyKlops

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

+1 for the Elixir....

go with the CR model. Very nice brakes, powerful, easy to maintain and set up, and all your adjustments, pad contact and reach, "are no tools required".

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by WaySlowWhitey
    and include pad-contact adjustability.
    FYI...The pad contact adjustment on Avid hydraulic brakes does not change the gap between the pads and rotor (so it will make no difference with pads dragging). It changes the point in the lever travel where the pads make contact with the rotor.

I have Juicy 7's and have no complaints at all. The CPS bolt system makes caliper alignment very easy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    FYI...The pad contact adjustment on Avid hydraulic brakes does not change the gap between the pads and rotor (so it will make no difference with pads dragging). It changes the point in the lever travel where the pads make contact with the rotor.

I have Juicy 7's and have no complaints at all. The CPS bolt system makes caliper alignment very easy.
    Thats BS, yes the pad contact adjuster does change the gap between the pad and the rotor, it pulls the pistons in or out dependant which way you want to tune.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Another 575 owner here, great taste you have If you want to spend the dough, look at formula brakes, very highly regarded. I have the Oro bianco and love 'em. Great modulation and they do not drag or make any nasty noises.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    After some adjusting of the calipers and letting out a little fluid to keep them from grabbing tooooo hard and throwing me off the bike as well as making the lever pressure much smoother to engage the brakes....my avids havent let me down. I dealt with the noise but after some fine tuning and patience they are noise free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GbrNole
    Thats BS, yes the pad contact adjuster does change the gap between the pad and the rotor, it pulls the pistons in or out dependant which way you want to tune.

Wrong. The pad contact adjuster changes the amount of lever pull at the master cylinder and has nothing to do with the pistons. The distance between the pads and rotor remain constant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    On the mechanical brakes it does, but we are talking about hydraulic brakes which I clearly stated. fixbikeguy and I are correct.

Meh.
    100% false. Even the Avid website says so. It's an open system that automatically compensates for pad wear... So the pad/rotor gap remains constant. The adjuster just changes the position relative to the timing port.

I had several sets of Juicies (5s and 7s) that never had problems.I upgraded to the Elixir Rs and am very pleased with the increased power and modulation.

Have you had your disc tabs faced? If they are off due to tolerances, machining, overspray, etc that can cause your rub. I have several sets of Shimano brakes as well and do not have this problem.

Combat Wombat

A couple questions....

Quote Originally Posted by WaySlowWhitey
    I've got an '08 YETI 575 with XT brakes and HATE them! I cannot get the pads to stop dragging. I've cleaned the pistons and opened up the return springs, used spacers and genrally have done everything to align them with no luck.

It's time for some new brakes (Front and Rear). I ride XC / All mountain and have heard the Juicy 7's are pretty nice once set up and include pad-contact adjustability. Are these any good or are there others out there that would be better?
    I am assuming these are XT 775s.

Did they ever work and you are just now having this problem?

Is this the original brake setup on this frame and have the tabs ever been faced?

How do you have your free stroke adustment set?

Do the pads drag because they do not retrack fully or you just can not get the capliper centered?

If these are the 775s and you really do want a set of Juicy 7s, I know someone that hates his Juicys and I bet would trade.....PM me.

Brian