mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Need some advice - choosing brakes

I'm building up an Iron Horse 6point, and need to select some brakes. I haven't bought new brakes in a long time. My long term disc brake usage experience is limited to the set of Hayes from '99 that I still use on another bike I have, other than that, it's Avid BB7's or v-brakes.

The bike will be used for 80% AM trail riding, and 20% shuttle/resort DH. I weigh about 220lbs. I'm thinking of getting 185mm rotors regardless of which ones I go with.

My short list at the moment is:
    Avid Elixir CR
    Avid Code
    Hope Tech M4

If money was no object, I would be buying the Hope's, as I've barely read anything bad about them. I'm just not sure if they're worth the extra money. Also in the Avid line up, I'm not sure if the Code's are necessary or if the Elixir's will have enough power and modulation for me.

Can I get some pro's/con's on the Hope vs Avid, and then also some opinions on the Elixir vs Code?

-Scott

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    can i ask how much you wanna spend on both sets?

mtbr member
    I've had Avid and Formula brakes, now I'm on Hope Tech M4s and they are the best I've used.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    you can get the M4's for 375 + adapters. seems like the obvious choice to me.

Ride the dream
    Another one to add to your list...

Hayes stroker ace.

Decent power (comparable with codes and m4's, but not up at saint/the-one level), good modulation, decent weight and can be had for pretty reasonable prices.

If you have plenty of money to splash, Formula One's are difficult to beat on all counts but value.
    Saint's are also worth considering.

Codes are decent enough brakes, but are very heavy and not neccessarily worth that extra weight (much like gustav's in this regard) unless you're very heavy or really beast your brakes.
    Elixirs are nice brakes but much lighter duty - ie: much less tolerant of retarded braking techniques (read: if you drag your brakes, forget it for dh). In short, if your braking technique is good and you're not particularly heavy then they'll work (pretty well too), but they're not neccessarily suitable for everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm seeing prices for Hope M4's for about $425. Where are you seeing them for $375 micro224? The code's seem to be about $320, and the Elixirs about $290.

I'm okay with spending the money on the Hope's if they give something in return for the money.

I took a look at the saint's, and they seem to be in the realm of hope's in terms of reviews, and seem to be about the same price. Hope's have always impressed me just from the manufacturing and details perspective. I guess I'm kind of set on them, I was just looking for someone to say "no need to spend the money, you can get the same performance for less".

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...Search=hope+m4 if you were gonna get the saints i would just get the v2's for a few bucks more then the M4's