Sir Wreck-A-Lot
    Nov 2005

Need to rebuild Hayes Nine brakes - questions

Hi there,

I've got a set of 2005 Hayes Nine brakes that, for a few years, worked just as I needed them to. A few months ago the front brake just stopped working, and I believe I saw fluid dripping from somewhere near the caliper.

But I've been doing other things, and just used the rear brake... up until today. With no signs of fluid loss, or a problem, 1/8th of a mile into a trail ride the rear brake faded, then stopped working at all.

Are rebuild kits available for them, is it tough to do, and why would both the front and rear just die (before either needed a new set of brake pads) unless they were built with a flaw from the factory?

At this point, with both brakes gone, I feel that a lot of other people must have had the same issue. Hopefully some of you know what I need to do.

Thanks!

Best,

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GammaDriver
    Hi there,

I've got a set of 2005 Hayes Nine brakes that, for a few years, worked just as I needed them to. A few months ago the front brake just stopped working, and I believe I saw fluid dripping from somewhere near the caliper.

But I've been doing other things, and just used the rear brake... up until today. With no signs of fluid loss, or a problem, 1/8th of a mile into a trail ride the rear brake faded, then stopped working at all.

Are rebuild kits available for them, is it tough to do, and why would both the front and rear just die (before either needed a new set of brake pads) unless they were built with a flaw from the factory?

At this point, with both brakes gone, I feel that a lot of other people must have had the same issue. Hopefully some of you know what I need to do.

Thanks!

Best,
    You've tried bleeding them right?! That would be the first thing.

They are very simple brakes, so rebuilding them should be doable. I think there are some videos on youtube to help you. It's probably the rubber seals that are gone, and they come with those rebuild kits.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Caliper and handle both have rebuild kits and they're both quite cheap and easy to do yourself. For the caliper, there's basically only the master cylinder for $10-ish and, for the calipers, it's just a few o-rings and the new pistons for $20-ish.

Hardest part is getting out the old pistons, but a shock-pump and a modified valve for filling soccer balls and the sort gets em out straight away.

Sir Wreck-A-Lot
    Nov 2005
    Sweet - thanks guys.

Have I bled them? No - never.

For all of my riding, and the maintenance I used to do, I really haven't been reading mtbr.com since I got this bike years ago because it's been trouble-free. Now that fluid has leaked out of the front, and the rear completely faded away, I am not sure that bleeding either will help... but I will look up the procedure and try it for the rear.

Where can I get a rebuild kit, or kits? my LBS stated that hayes was bought out, and that Hayes is no longer a major player ... so they implied that rebuild kits would be tough to find.