mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Need new rear rotor?

I currently have Formula RX disc brakes and about 1 month ago I started to get a howl from the rear. I thought it might have been the rear hub(Hope). Had it gone over by the LBS and they found nothing wrong. It doesn't make the sound right away but about 4 miles into a ride, especially after some high speed braking. I will tell you I live in northeast PA (rocks, rocks, roots). Not sure if I bent the rotor. I tend to hear a scraping sound when going slow. Would block sanding the rotor help or should I just get a new rotor? What kind of rotor would you suggest? I have a 6 bolt setup with a 160mm in the rear. Should I also get new pads, and what kind?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It is easy to check if rotor is bend. Look into brake caliper with bright light behind it. Any bends in rotor show up as a wobble against the pads.

If the rotor is straight, it might have been contaminated. Go to walmart/greens, CVS and find 90% isopropyl alcohol(dirt cheap).

Clean the rotor with a clean towel and the ISOA. Sand the pads down until the shiny part is gone.

Brake in the new pads.

To safely achieve optimal results, remain seated on the bike during the entire bed-in procedure.
    1. Accelerate the bike to a moderate speed, then firmly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately twenty times.
    2. Accelerate the bike to a faster speed. Then very firmly apply the brakes until you are at walking speed. Repeat approximately ten times.
    IMPORTANT:
    Do not lock up the wheels at any point during the bed-in procedure.

3. Allow the brakes to cool prior to any additional riding.

If you are using organic pads switch top sintered. That solved all my noise problems.