ronbo613

Need New Disc Brakes, Quick

After two seasons of unreliability my Hayes Stroker Trails failed completely. There's not much good riding weather left around here, I need to get something going quick.
    I've got a Giant Trance X2 with the Hayes 180 rotor up front and a 160 in the rear. The front brake is still working, the rear is dead. Any decent brakes I can use with the Hayes rotors or do I have get all new stuff? I'm not exactly rolling in cash right now so if I could get away with just having to get the rear lever and caliper, that would be great. If I have to go front and rear but use the Hayes rotors, I guess I'll have to go that way.
    Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Edit. just seen your other thread.

Is it really necessary to start 2 threads about your brakes within 30 mins.
    Last edited by cobba; 09-13-2010 at 09:44 PM.

ronbo613
    Is it really necessary to start 2 threads about your brakes within 30 mins.
    The other thread lists the many problems I've had with Stroker brakes. Having brakes on your bicycle that fail without warning is something that someone might want to know about. I've made previous posts endorsing the positive aspects of Hayes customer service, I would like all the facts to be known.
    I started this thread because I am now looking for information on disc brakes that work. If someone wants to suggest brakes that work for them, I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll figure it out myself.

mtbr member
    if i had money id buy formulas, r1s or one's...but i dont, ftr i ride trails and i cant be happier with them, i am going to upgrade to 180mm rotors front and rear for a little extra power, but overall i enjoy them.... and from your other thread hayes CS is the best ive ever experianced...sorry to hear about your brakes...

if you need advice you should post how much your willing to spend( $$ amount)...it helps people give you good range of products that fall in your budget...
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

ronbo613
    hayes CS is the best ive ever experienced...sorry to hear about your brakes..
    I had Hayes Mag 9's on my last bike, they were great, never a problem, that's why I am really disappointed with the Strokers, nothing but one problem after another. You're right, Hayes customer service is very good, but my brakes totally failed a few weeks after they rebuilt them, so I don't know what to think.

I'm not loaded with money right now, so far Avid Elixir 5 looks best to me. Gotta get the bike back on the trail, the weather here in the Pac NW ain't going to stay nice forever.