mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Need help, whether or not to upgrade to Disc

i have a 1998 Iron Horse G-out with V-brakes. There is no disc brake bracket on the frame, bu t i just purchased a manitou fork that is disc and v-brake compatible. My question is, is it worth upgrading just the front to Disc and leaving the rear V-brake? I was planning on getting Avid BB7's for the front.

I would really appreciate people's opinions. Being out of the mtb scene for a few years now, i havent been up on the trends, but i know most bikes by now come with Discs.

wyrd bi ful rd
    There must be a reason that you want to go with rotors. Do you go into muddy areas such that your V brakes fail? Unless you have got a good deal for the BB7, I will not recommend upgrading.

The fact that you have bought a new fork looks to me like you might possibly upgrade in future and so will be better to keep your Vs and upgrade once you have upgraded your frame and go straight to hydros.
    Last edited by chinaman; 01-09-2008 at 11:45 AM.

local trails rider
    Mech disc front with rear V will work fine. It is called a "mullet".

Discs are superior when the conditions are wet or dirty (or icy). Rim brakes lose power in those conditions. If you mainly ride in clean and dry conditions, Vs are still a perfectly functional option.

...idios...
    FAQ

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    as perttime said...that setup is a mullet...and to keep a similar lever feel, I'd go with with a bb7 for the front...

g3h6o3
    I don' know what china has against BB7s but they are very good brakes and they have stopping power comparable to many hydros in the XC market. I personally run BB7s on my XC hardtail and love them really much. The only thing that can be annoying is the modulation so having good levers is a must if you like to play with modulation factor.

I agree with china on waiting for the frame upgrade though since you can't put discs on the rear I doubt it's really worth putting discs up front. You're also saying that your bike is a '98 and that you've been out of cycling for a while so make sure your hubs can handle discs. If they can't I'd say stick with the v-brakes until you can change the whole bike...

wyrd bi ful rd
    I do not have anything against BB7s ... I agree that they are good brakes ... I do not think there is any brakes out there that are exceptionally bad except that they are made for their respective uses. ie condition and type of riding.

I had Soles before but sold it for an XT. Were Sole hydros bad? ... No unless you use it for aggressive trail riding with lengthy brake use.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    I do not have anything against BB7s
    Right. By rereading your post i think I might have misinterpreted it the 1st time...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

BVK
    Feb 2005
    Depends mostly on wheels, if they are disk copatible I would upgrade. As for the rear there is an A2Z adapter, tricky to use but it worked for me.