mtbr member

Need help on squealing Canti's, how to fix?

My wife has a older Trek 800 that she uses for a path bike. The brakes are canti's. Both the front and back now squeal so loud when she hits her brakes it hurts our ears. I have tried to adjust them, clean the rims with rubbing alcohol, I don't know what else to do. From what I can see the pads have tons of life left in them, but maby I am wrong. Any other suggestions, before I take it to a shop?

...idios...
    Cleaning with alcohol probably didn't help - tends to leave rims 'squeaky' clean.

After you've checked that all the brake/pad mounting bolts are tight, maybe even with a drop of dry lube on any mating surfaces/joints (wiping the excess off, of course) - try a light rubbing with some fine grade sandpaper to give the rims a fresh key. You can also freshen the pads by rubbing the braking surface evenly up and down the length of a metal file to remove any glazing.

Park Tool have an extensive set-up guide for cantilever brakes. Here's a link for you.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Cleaning with alcohol probably didn't help - tends to leave rims 'squeaky' clean.

After you've checked that all the brake/pad mounting bolts are tight, maybe even with a drop of dry lube on any mating surfaces/joints (wiping the excess off, of course) - try a light rubbing with some fine grade sandpaper to give the rims a fresh key. You can also freshen the pads by rubbing the braking surface evenly up and down the length of a metal file to remove any glazing.

Park Tool have an extensive set-up guide for cantilever brakes. Here's a link for you.

Thanks for the reply, this is problem is driving me loco I did just take some fine sandpaper and I scuffed uped the pads and the rims. Seems to now be worse. The bike is a 97 model, and I believe the pads are the org ones that came with the bike. Am I correct in guessing that the compound the pads are made of, goes bad after so many years? I have V's on another bike, and have never had a problem adjusting them, also it has much newer pads.

...idios...
    "The bike is a 97 model, and I believe the pads are the org ones that came with the bike. Am I correct in guessing that the compound the pads are made of, goes bad after so many years?"

Crikey, 12-year old pads!! Yes, rubber can deteriorate quite considerably over the years, so you should probably fit a new set before you even start troubling yourself with a proper set-up.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Bingo!!!....

as SteveUK noted. those pads are ancient as brake pads go. They are likely dried out and quite hard or brittle. The oils in rubber will dry out over time and this leaves it dry and hard. It's one of the reasons that things like rubber tires, and such slowly crack or check over time. I would highly recommend replacing the pads. That'll be half your battle won right there. Then you can consentrate on set up without old dried up pads countering your every move.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Kool Stop Eagle Claw Pads

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Which Kool Stop for my Tektro Oryx Canti (front)

While we're talking about pads, Kool Stop in particular, I'm wanting to replace the front pads on my canti'd Trucker (Surly). I'm wondering a couple of things...

1)Would the Salmon pads be okay for my north central Fla. climate or should I consider another compound

2) Which model, Eagle2 or Thinline? this is a Surly Trucker 700c wheel in front, canti brakes (Tektro Oryx)

Jake
    Reddick Fla.