mtbr member

Need Help Picking new Tires

Hi, I need your help. I'm an experienced triahtlete (12yrs) and runner (26yrs) and I just got my first mountain bike, a GT Zaskar, this winter. I'm having a ball with it in the woods near my house on Long Island and at Minniwaska State Park in Upstate NY, and naturally plans for racing Exterra mountain bike triathlons are dancing though my head. I might be able to do 4 or 5 mountain bike tri's and du's along with the road tri's already in my schedule. My GT came with a Tioga Yellow Kiren (860 grams) front and a Tioga Blue Dragon (600 grams) rear. The rear is showing some wear already and the front just seams way to heavy. So, I'm ready for new tires, but the more I check the more I get confused. Do I need to keep these high volume tires or can I get something lighter?

Tires that I'm considering are the Panaracer XC Pro (very highly regarded), IRC Mythos ( racing heritage), Continental Explorer Protection (520 grams), Hutchinson Spyder ( a best pick by Shiggy) and more that I see on this sight.

I'd like to save some weight one the tires. What would you recommend for racing and training in the NY region?

Thank you, I appreciate your help

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I recommend you crosspost (post a copy) of this question also in the Wheels and Tires forum, while the folks at the brake forum can help out, you might want to get some replies from there too...

what kind of surfaces/conditions do you have in upstate NY? (sorry i haven't ridden there)

mtbr member
    Thanks, I just reposted it.