Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thunder Chunky

Need Help with Hayes 9's

Ok so about 3 monthes ago i bought a new bike that had the hayes 9 fornt and rear on it. I have ridden it all of about 3 times mostly just around the neighborhood because on the cold weather. Today i noticed that my rear brake seemed to be getting looser and looser as it used to be just as tight as my front break. It got to the point where it didnt even slow me down at all and now it just hits the handle...Is it a leak? i dont think it is because i have checked the whole line and there isnt even a scuff on it. SHould i take it to my lbs and see if they can figure out whats wrong or should i try to bleed it and see if that helps at all?
    Thanks,
    Mad

Race Technician

Back to the shop...

Have them make sure the hose fitting is tight at the master cylinder. If they are, time for a bleed.

Randy

Thunder Chunky
    k will do. Thank You!!!

mtbr member

Adjuster screw

Is your adjuster screw on the inside of your brake lever backing out? If it does not have loc-tite or the plastic shim in the cylindrical nut it will back out everytime you pull the lever and will get closer tot he grip in about 1/2 hour of riding.

Thunder Chunky
    no thats not it i have tried screwing it all the way in and it doesnt do anything...

Meh.
    Actually you don't want that reach adjuster all the way in. Try having the reach adjuster flush with the nut.

Thunder Chunky
    ok i lied I didnt put it all the way in but I put it farther in than they were before. Then i didnt notice any difference so i decided to not put them all the way in to make sure i didnt do anything thing else to damage them further.

Thunder Chunky
    ok today i decided i might as well try to rebleed it while i am waiting for Ibex to reply. So i repled it and it seemed to work great. That didnt really tell me wether it was a laek of just a bad bleed so i decided to just pump the brakes acouple times to see if i could find a leak anywheres. Well to say the least i found out...on about the second pump the line burst spraying the crap all over me. I looked at where it burst and it was just a tiny cut no abbrasion or anything that would cause it from what i could tell. So now im hittin Ibex up for a new hose. How hard are hoses to install? Easy enough for me to figure out(im pretty good if i got some good instructions) or would it be better just to have me lbs put it in?
    Thanks,
    Mad

Thunder Chunky
    Randy,
    Im assuming you work for Hayes since it says Randy @ Hayes so im going to ask you this: I got a responce from Ibex basically saying its not ttheir fault and your company ships the the brakes already assembled. But they are gogin to contact you and see if they can work something out. For now he just had me email him some pics but he said i might also need to send those hose back for further inspectipn. Anyways do you think Hayes will give me a nwe cable or will i need to buy one do you think? Heres the pics(sorry for the big size but its hard to see otherwise)

Race Technician
    Give us a call. 1-888-MTN-DISC for a RA#.

Randy

ride hard take risks
    Thats a very interesting slice. Lucky your dealing with 2 very good companys in Ibex & Hayes. Both Jack & Randy are some of the best in the industry to be working with.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Thunder Chunky
    I have not yet called Hayes since its the weekend so I will call on Monday. So far Ibex has been great about!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Something looks oddly familliar..

Hey, I noticed the location of the burst and had to chime in. Dual crown fork, right? I bet if you look at where the bumper on the stantion hits the frame you'll find that the hose is RIGHT there. Betcha that bumper is the cause. I've seen it before, on one of my old bikes. Technically not a warranty issue, but give it a shot.

Thunder Chunky
    hmmm if that is the problem how do I fix it so it doesnt happen again? Ive never had that happen on any of my previous bikes...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by juancancook
    Hey, I noticed the location of the burst and had to chime in. Dual crown fork, right? I bet if you look at where the bumper on the stantion hits the frame you'll find that the hose is RIGHT there. Betcha that bumper is the cause. I've seen it before, on one of my old bikes. Technically not a warranty issue, but give it a shot.
    Thats a different one!! Guess i always made sure it never hit so i never saw the problem, nice call.

If jcc is correct then relocate the rubber fork stops so they dont slam the hose but the frame instead. Also be sure the high end of the bumper is hitting the frame.
    Formotion Products

Thunder Chunky
    ok just went and checked it out. That is NOT the problem. The spilt is about 2 inches away from where the bumper hits and the bumbper doesnt even hit the line in the first place.(And no i didnt move the bumper and even if i did i couldnt move the brake line so that the spilt isnt where the bumper hits). I can take pics if you want.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    ok just went and checked it out. That is NOT the problem. The spilt is about 2 inches away from where the bumper hits and the bumbper doesnt even hit the line in the first place.(And no i didnt move the bumper and even if i did i couldnt move the brake line so that the spilt isnt where the bumper hits). I can take pics if you want.
    Well juancancook had a great idea as a possibility. Well Randy is offering a RA # so it sounds like he is willing to inspect & possibly replace the hose. They will possibly have you remove the hose & send it to Randy/Hayes.
    Formotion Products

Thunder Chunky
    Im having trouble getting in touch with Hayes...Ibex told me that since i had already been in contact with them on here it would be better for me to just do it myself(understandable and not a problem) Whenever i call the number provided by Randy though the automated voice thing picks up and i press 1 for warranty and tech support for disc brakes. After i do that though it says please hold for a moment or something like and then starts ringing but no one ever pics up??? I have tried at different times of the day with the same result? Am I retarded and doing something wrong? Or do i just have really bad luck at picking what time to call? lol
    Thanks,
    Taylor

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

This might seem obvious but...

... did you leave a message?

Thunder Chunky
    hmmm guess i never styaed on the line long enough...i must be really impatient compared to the rest of the world lol. Thanks!!!

ride hard take risks
    Send Randy a email exlaining the phone problem, possibly he can get you a RA# & email you back.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Ah Ha!

Simple solutions rock! Their voicemail can take a while to kick in but I've had no problems with them returning calls. Let us know what they do for you.

Thunder Chunky
    ok you were right lol...left a message 2 minutes later they called back. Gave me a RA# and address to ship it to. One question though that i forgot to ask the guy. Should i just put like a peice of paper with the RA# on it in the box or where should i put the #? Actually another question too. What do i need to ship exactly he told me but i forgot to write it down...I think it was just full master cylinder and brake lever along with the hose obviously but i just want to make sure im sending them the right stuff lol.

Race Technician

Step one, cut a hole in the box.....

Sorry, off topic.

Take the brake off the bike, no need to send the hardware, adapters or disc, box it up.

RA# on the outside of the box is all that's required.

Randy

ride hard take risks
    The RA# goes on the outside of the box so they know where to send te box when it arives. If you are able to bleed the system, just the hose. If you dont know how to bleed call back & suggest you would like to send the compleat master, hose & caliper so they can set it up again.
    Formotion Products

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast