mtbr member

need help with disc brakes

heres the deal i have disc brakes on my s. hardrock and when I take my front wheel off and place it back on when i hit my destination. my inner brake pad keeps touching and you can hear the rubbing, but when i back it off then my hand break loses tension. how do i fix this.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

mtbr member
    When taking off a wheel and putting it back on, even a small difference in how tight you put the wheel back on can cause it to move out of alignment.

You'll just have to readjust the brakes or you could try to re-tightened the wheels. If you're asking how to actually adjust your brakes, then could you tell us what brakes you're running?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a Hrdrock disc and I have the same problem. I am running tektro IOX brakes. How do I adjust them to make them not rub? Thank you.

mtbr member
    Adjust your outer brake so there is 3mm of space between the pad and rotor. Use an automotive tool called a feeler gauge to determine that spacing.

Then loosen the two allen screws that the inner pad attached to. Next squeeze the brake lever and re tighten down the two screws.

You should have even spacing on both sides of the rotor now and good to roll.
    I'm a member of VeloReviews.com the cyclist's social network.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Make sure the cones in the hubs are tight. If they aren't, the wheels can flex enough to cause brake rub issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

wedge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider03
    heres the deal i have disc brakes on my s. hardrock and when I take my front wheel off and place it back on when i hit my destination. my inner brake pad keeps touching and you can hear the rubbing, but when i back it off then my hand break loses tension. how do i fix this.
    Your brakes came with a plastic wedge to keep the brake pads apart when the wheel is off. Use the wedge.

You should also learn how to depress your rotors, (ususally with a 10mm socket), with your brake pads out.