mtbr member

Need help choosing new disc brakes.

I am ready to purchase a new set of disc brakes and need some advise. I am looking at the Avid Juicy 7, Hope Mono Mini & M4 and the Hayes El Camino. I just retired my Hayes Hydro to a second bike. I live in SE Michigan and ride all types of terrain (XC, tecnical, etc). Any and all other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greekzilla
    I am ready to purchase a new set of disc brakes and need some advise. I am looking at the Avid Juicy 7, Hope Mono Mini & M4 and the Hayes El Camino. I just retired my Hayes Hydro to a second bike. I live in SE Michigan and ride all types of terrain (XC, tecnical, etc). Any and all other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
    You have a couple different categories there. the Hope mini is by far the lightest and the M4 is the strongest (I would also say the best modulating of the bunch, though I have not ridden the El Camino's yet) The Jucy7 is a reliable stopper and really easy to install and set up (followed closely by the hayes)
    If you are willing to put up with the finicky install of the M4's they are likely (easily IMHO) the best performer and most reliable brake of the bunch (direct mount brakes require facing and careful shimming). If you want ease of setup and a reliable performer go Jucy7. If light weight is most important the MonoMini is the clear weight winner of your group and no slouch performance or modulation wise. If you want the newest thing go for the El Camino (though IMHO the power-dial is only necessary because of the light switch like modulation of hayes brakes, it would be a waste on other brands)

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Are you not considering Magura Marta or SLs?

They have been great so far for me. I only have a few miles and 3 weekends on them, but power and modulation are tops. (160lbs, fairly fast downhiller).

mtbr member
    I just put on a set of Hope Momo Mini's and think they're a great choice. At $160 a set they're fairly priced, the build quality is outstanding, and the function (in my limited experience with them) is very sound: power, modulation, feel, and the levers are sweet too.
    I would agree with Grumpy about the setup though. Not what you would call a quick setup, messing with the shims and all. I also found that it was important to break them in by closing the cylinders all the way (without the rotor in there) and opening them back up with a plastic tire lever, several times. This seemed to help them expand and retract equally. If you're willing to be patient, then you won't be disappointed. The El Camino's and the Magura SL's were tie for a close second choice, but the Hope's won out in the end if for no other reason than the name... It's hard to get any more positive than HOPE!
    ...the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong...Ecc9:11

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I'm also using mono minis

Pretty good brakes. Performance is good, with nice modulation. Squeal a little bit if it's wet, but no big deal. Not as many features to play with compared to the juicys or the el caminos (but you may not need those things....)