mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Need help with Avid Juicy Carbon disc brakes!

The bike is a Motobecane FLY 9357
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...instocknow.htm

I assembled it myself and everything went together smoothly and problem free but I cannot get the brakes to stop rubbbing, both front and back.

I've followed the included instructions from Avid for aligning and truing the calipers to no avail. The rotors are brand new and dont appear warped.

Even with the CPS bolts as loose as possible I cannot move the caliper into a position where there isn't some rubbing noise. I've also turned the pad contact knob so that the pads are as far from the rotor as possible.

Am I overlooking something? I can get it to the point where there doesnt seem to be any drag but the noise will not go away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its frustrating to spend $1500 and be so close to riding and then just get stuck.

Thanks in advance - Jason

Meh.
    Pad contact knob does not affect the position of the pistons. Have you already reset the pistons? Rock a flathead back and forth to push the pistons back into their bores.

Which side is it rubbing on? You may need to shim out the adapter or rotor as the current position may be out of adjustment range.

From the Park Tools Website: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=142
    Check that any mounting brackets are secure to the frame or fork mounts. AvidŽ recommended torque for bracket bolts is 70-80 inch pounds. Loosen the caliper body mounting bolts until body can move freely. Check the caliper is able to move laterally and center over the rotor when adjustment is loose (Figure 4).

Squeeze the lever firmly several times and hold. This should position the caliper pads parallel to the rotor. First snug one and then another caliper body bolt. Next fully secure caliper mounting bolts fully to 40-60 inch pounds.

mtbr member
    You should be able to look down through the top and/or the side of the caliper and see light between the brake pads and the rotor - might need to put a light on the floor to make it easier to see the clearance. If you can't see light, the rotor is rubbing. By doing this and moving the caliper around, you should be able to see where the contact is and which way you need to move the caliper to make the clearance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ended up getting it through trial and error after about a half hour per caliper. Im not sure why I had such a hard time. Its a little humbling getting stuck on a simple little brake caliper for a bike when I can rebuild a Ford 302. Oh well I got it.

Thanks for the tip on resetting the pistons. That wasn't covered in the Avid manual.