Team Bionic Pickle

New question here. Need help aligning J7 calipers...

Okay, I just bought the new Avid Juicy 7's for my Heckler/Z1 FR and I'm using them with Avid's mechanical rotors (203mm front and 185mm rear). Also, this is my first time setting up disc brakes.

In order to position the calipers, the instructions indicate that you squeeze the lever while the caliper is loose, then while continuing to hold the lever you tighten up the caliper, slowly, one bolt at a time.

Well, I did this, several attempts, but there is still significant rubbing of the caliper against the rotor while the lever is NOT engaged. In other words, the wheel does not spin freely.

Just wondering if you guys can provide me with some suggestions for aligning the calipers so that my wheel spins freely. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I usually attempt to do what the instructions say at first, then give up and just use the old eyeball method (see which side is closer, push it away, tighten, repeat until satisfied). -t

mtbr member
    Crawdad,

Have you tuned your rotors? If not that is where Id start. I had to tune both of my Juicys wavy rotors before I was able to get proper alignment in the calipers. It makes a huge difference. Once you've tuned your rotor proceed like the instruction recommend. If you still have problems getting it just right, I did, be sure that you dont torque one bolt all the way down before the other. I alternated about to a of a turn between each screw, and then if they still rubbed Id loosen each bolt about of a turn and do it again. It took a couple of times but I eventually got it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Team Bionic Pickle

Thanks. I had to...

shim the adapter away from the fork with a single washer on each bolt, and that put the caliper right in the middle of the CPS adjustment range. Then I was able to easily align the caliper just like the directions indicate. Everthing works now.

(Without these washers, no matter how I adjusted the calipers, the entire rotor always pressed against the outside pad, and the wheel barely spun.)

Just curious - there's no reason why I shouldn't have used washers to put the caliper in the correct spot, right? Thanks again.