mtbr member

Need different mountings for different rotor diameters?

I have been researching disc-brakes for a little while now. I am contemplating upgrading my v-brakes to discs. I ride an '03 Giant Warp DS2. The DS1 comes stock with Avid mechanicals, and I think when the time comes that is the model I'm going with. My question has to do with different diameter rotors. It seems like the typical is 6". I don't see a reason why I would go with a larger one, but as long as I'm researching I may as well try to understand everything. Do bikes setup with larger diameter rotors have different mounts for the brakes? My are the typical IS mount, and I've been searching ebay and other sources for the best deals. Many times the rotor sizes are different and I'm wondering if there are brakes/rotors that will not work on my bike.

Giant Warp DS1
    Giant Warp DS2

Also, please feel free to share any stories of a fantastic deal you got making a similar upgrade....

mtbr member
    The only difference between a bike with 6" rotors and one with say 7" rotors is an adapter which moved the caliper farther out from the mounts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon
    The only difference between a bike with 6" rotors and one with say 7" rotors is an adapter which moved the caliper farther out from the mounts.
    So the bike with the 7" rotor did not have any different caliper mounts than for a 6" rotor? The brake caliper simply has an adapter to still mount in the standard position?

Thanks for the reply.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
    So the bike with the 7" rotor did not have any different caliper mounts than for a 6" rotor? The brake caliper simply has an adapter to still mount in the standard position?

Thanks for the reply.
    Ed
    Yes, in most cases the only difference is that the caliper would have a different mount pushing the caliper further out to accomodate the larger diameter disc.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I don't "need" disc brakes, but I've certainly got a case of brake-envy going on. Maybe next summer I'll take the plunge....

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the replies. I don't "need" disc brakes, but I've certainly got a case of brake-envy going on. Maybe next summer I'll take the plunge....
    I found that I appreciated my discs more in the rainy/snowy winter riding season then in the summer time (except on extended downhill sections). Either way, save your money, take your time on the options. Remember you will need new wheels as well (unless your current ones have disc hubs)

"El Whatever"
    Yup.. as 006_007said it's a rather expensive upgrade but very worthy. I prefer to deal with my avid mechs than any vee. Vee's are more difficult to set-up than the Avids mechs at least.

Take your time and keep it in the back of your head. It's a very worthy upgrade.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Thanks again. I have been on the lookout for a new wheelset because I will need them. Just ebay lurking, really. But I have no doubt that I'll make the upgrade someday. I feel my bike is worth investing in upgrades for. The main reason for putting it off longer is that I need to save my money right now for my wedding/honeymoon.... Is it ok to register for gifts at a LBS?
    Last edited by ewarnerusa; 08-30-2004 at 01:39 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Thanks again. I have been on the lookout for a new wheelset because I will need them. Just ebay lurking, really. But I have no doubt that I'll make the upgrade someday. I feel my bike is worth investing in upgrades for. The main reason for putting it off longer is that I need to save my money right now for my wedding/honeymoon.... Is it ok to register for gifts at a LBS?
    Yes.... your frame is totallly worth of upgrades (no other frame IMHO is more worth of upgrades).

I'll give you a tip... for around 120 bux or else you can get built a wheelset out of the Mavic XM-321 hoops and Shitmano Deore hubs. No more reliable and cheap wheelset you can get ... maybe for some bux more you would toss in XT (6 disc brake bolts pattern) XT hubs.

Want a honest advice???? Buy before you marry. A couple hundred bux out of a thousands you're about to spend are nothing and later you'll be so wasted that you'll have a hard time sleeping thinking in debts and interests.... experience talking here, I had to sell out my Warp DS1 just because the same!!!

Yes, put that Atlas crankset and the new Zoke All Mountain Fork in your Gift List. Let your relatives and friends find where to buy them. Make yourself charge of the Gift List... women always want things for the house and not useful things like drills, forks, wheels, dremels, etc. I got a Microwave oven and some towels... Did anybody thought about my riding vice??? NO. So, get in charge. Let her the party and decoration.

Apart from that .... Godspeed!!!! congrats on your wedding. May you and your fiancee have a long and happy life together.
    Last edited by Warp; 08-30-2004 at 01:52 PM.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Yes.... your frame is totallly worth of upgrades (no other frame IMHO is more worth of upgrades).

I'll give you a tip... for around 120 bux or else you can get built a wheelset out of the Mavic XM-321 hoops and Shitmano Deore hubs. No more reliable and cheap wheelset you can get ... maybe for some bux more you would toss in XT (6 disc brake bolts pattern) XT hubs.
    I think we've chatted on the forum before, Warp2003. I'm guessing by your name we share the same bike frame?

"El Whatever"
    I think we've chatted on the forum before, Warp2003. I'm guessing by your name we share the same bike frame?
    We did share the same frame. I had to sell the bike out like a month ago.
    I'm rideless now but I fell in love with my DS1

Read to what I edited above.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    gracias, amigo

My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
    You dont have to spend that much, my friend spent $90 on a disk wheelset from jenson (Rhynolites on Deore hubs) and got an avid 6" rear and 8" front. Ended up spending $250. Which is a lot, but, the new rims are much better than the old, and the disk brakes rock. So IMO its WELL worth it.
    Schwinn Moab DS3 Avids, Rhyno Lites, Speed Dials, Some other stuff.
    Homebrew flat black rigid commuter with a Shockster
    Gary Fisher BMX
    Get Avid Juicy 7's for 65% off!!!